Ramp Building

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i did a search but i couldnt find anything that helped.
so if there has already been a thread on this just delete it.

Im thinking of making a metal or wooden take off ramp to a mulch pile as a lander.
does anybody have pics of their ramps, or plans on how to make them.
any help would be greatly appreciated:D

have a good one.
Tyler

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There has been a few on this regard in th trail building section, but whatever, here goes.

WARNING! THE FOLLOWING IS A SUPER SIMPLISTIC, BUT SAFE WAY TO BUILD WOODEN UP-RAMPS.
In the way of wooden jumps i find the easiest way to ala create them is with a few mates (to help hold stuff in place ect...).

What you will need:
A hammer per person
A pack of 100 3" nails
A pack of 20 4" nails
A battery drill with at least 12.5 volts (and a 3mm drill bit)
A shovel per person
A post hole digger
A mattic per person
a tape measure

Ramp materials:

2X 100x100mm wooden sections at 2meters in length.
2x 75x75mm wooden sections at 3meters in length.
2x wooden pallets. (NOTICE: NOT THE BLUE SHEP TYPE OR THE RED LUCSTAN, ASK AROUND INDUSTRIAL AREAS FOR BLANK PALLETS)
2x 3meter board sections.

Building:
Carefully mark where you would like the ramp to be positioned.
Make sure you have enough space to land and exit the jump without any sudden turns or obstacles.

once you have figured that out, measure across the pallet and dig post holes down 1 meter (should be easy with sandy soils).
Now place the 100x100 posts in each of the hols. place a 75x75 section on top of the extruding 100x100, and angle back untill the top face of the 100x100 is flat with the 75x75. Once this is established you can fill in the holes with the 100x100 in them and firmly compact it (there should be 1 meter in and 1 meter out). Now place the 75x75 on top and drill out 2-3 holes and nail the 2 woods together, repeat on other side.
Cut the board to fit across the 100x100 and 75x75 so that a fairly even triangle is formed (as shown in diagram). Drill and fix the boards onto the 100x100 and 75x75. This acts as a support so that the jump won't collapse. Now place the two offcuts at the front face (between the two 100x100's) like a big "X" and drill and nail.
Now place the 1st pallet at the base of the 75x75 so that the sides of the pallet are flush with the sides of the 75x75. (they should be if you dug the post holes correctly). Drill and nail the pallet onto the 75x75 putting 4 nails spread out evenly so that the pressure is distributed evenly. Repeat for the 2nd pallet up higher.
If you follow the post, the ramp should turn out indestructible!

Now throw some clay in front of the 1st pallet to smooth it out and your set!

hope it helps
cheers

I_EAT_DIRT

Likes Dirt
There was a thread a while back on this, it was a really good one, had step by step instructions, pictures and approx costs, have a search around with the words, wooden, ramp etc etc. It was one of the freestyle kind of bmx ramps.

the_beast

Likes Dirt
i am in the process of building a 1/4 pipe/bank for my son and i found the plans and ideas by googleing "how to build a funbox"

i think i found the plans at freerampplans dot somthing

good luck

Hunt_11

Likes Bikes
double post, please delete

sorry guys,

i doubled posted by acciedent
can some one delete this post because i dont know how to.

thanks

Last edited:

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is a ramp me and my bro made:

I used 5 ply plywood for the frame and 3 ply for the top (the curved bit you ride on). IMO the two most important things you need to do to make the jump strong (and therefore safe) is to inset the slats into the frame (time consuming, see pic) and reinforce the back somehow, with some sort of diagonal brace (I used a solid piece of ply at the back). The whole thing cost $80 or $110 with paint.

Jimass

Eats Squid
Mmm, Check my profile page thingy for pics of mine.

It's 4.8 feet high, made outta steel with ply deck.

10 feet long...

With an approximate max hight of like, 3.5 meters?

Last edited:
Homemade ramps are always the best man! If they work out well, you get the accomplishment of punting a huge air, and knowing that you were the cause of it completely. Try to look online for some half-pipe or quarter-pipe ramp plans, and use the same type of truss design, but modified to the angle/lip that you want, that's the way I made mine, and the geometry worked out perfect. Still standing strong too!

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
andrews ramp looks like my kinda ramp, did you follow any particular plans or did you go from scratch?

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
andrews ramp looks like my kinda ramp, did you follow any particular plans or did you go from scratch?

From scratch. The only bit I imagine would be difficult without plans is getting a shape you are happy with. I drew that one about 10 times before I cut it.

Suburban rider

Likes Dirt
get plywood and a pencil, and some string and draw a 1/4 circle on the plywood (this may need 2 or more piece of ply depending how big u want the ramp and the steepness) cut it out with a jigsaw and take your time so the are no flat spots, do this x2 so each piece is the same. get some treated pine and cut it to equal lengths (the pieces closer to the bottom will have to be cut in half do the middle to be put in) and screw them in to the sides making shore that their all flat with the curve of the sides. then get some 2 or 3 ply and place it on top it may take 2 people to do this but it will be the strongest way of doing it do this 2 or 3 times depending on the thickness of the ply.

then u can paint it or laqcer or clear cloat whatever.

build a ramp this way because its the strongest and smartest and easiest way to do it

hope that helps

Last edited: