Ramp design...

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
Just querying the vast experience of the RB community here (please forgive me if this should have been posted elsewhere):

Has anyone ever seen ramp designs as seen here - i.e. with no platform or "back portion" - other than at this particular skate park?

m_IMG_5664.jpg

To put a bit of context to it, I'm a Risk Consultant providing a report on the facility to Council, and while I'm not OVERLY concerned about them, I'm just curious as to whether such a design has been used elsewhere.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They look sick! where is this?

The ramps could also double as a handy 'lean to' style accommodation for those in need.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
Kensington dirt jumps in Melbourne have a cantilever halfpipe from memory.
I know of Kensington - I'm not referring so much to the "cantilever' design so such as the fact there is no platform, and the fact there is a drop down to dirt / grass.

To me they appear to encourage / be ideal for BMX riders to jump off them, rather than be used for skating purposes... I've been to MANY parks over the years and I've never seen anything quite like this.

Its at Wallan, which is just North of Melbourne.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Maybe they just realised that cutting of the platform part of the ramp would save them a fair few pennies...

Also has an increased.safety factor. If you look into the background of the oic all the ramps with a standing platform from which to drip in are facing the same way. This would reduce the chance of people dropping in on each other from opposite ends of the park.

Camdyson

Likes Bikes
Looks like the 1/2 pipes in the background do have drop-in platforms, and the ones in the foreground are in a "flow" section where you wouldn't want people dropping in mid-run.

Nice MTB jumps though.....

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
Sorry for your loss...
Don't feel too sorry, quite often recently I've been able to ride trails and get paid for it on the "pretence" that I'm assessing risk... While I am doing that, it doesn't take away from the fact that I'm getting paid to ride my bike!

For those interested this is a wider shot of the whole park... Overall it seems an awesome set-up, just a few strange layouts which isn't unusual.
m_IMG_5657.jpg

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
It's not actually a "loop-the-loop" - rather just a shade / aesthetic structure... Its not possible to skate or ride on it, LOL!
It's not possible to say that until enough people have tried and failed...usually the equation for such a circumstance is n+1. It will filter the weak...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
That wheelie bin is in a bad place.
Trick of perspective I reckon.... If you look carefully it lines up with the dip between two of the ramps and not with the overshoot line of any of them, so well out of the way of stray riders (unless they seriously fuck it up).

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
Trick of perspective I reckon.... If you look carefully it lines up with the dip between two of the ramps and not with the overshoot line of any of them, so well out of the way of stray riders (unless they seriously fuck it up).
Not so true unfortunately. Interestingly it wasn't something I immediately identified during the site visit, but did from the photos...
m_IMG_5656.jpg
And to make things worse, you cant see it from the surface of the skating area...

Also - I'd love to see someone try and ride / skate on the loop thing. It actually doesn't have a 'surface' across the whole top section. Not too mention it is flat upside down to quite a distance. Apparently it has seen people climbing on it tho, and I'd suggest probably jumping from it into the ramp (suicide drop-in style)...