RAW Track 2009 Thread (Friday Night Winter Track Racing)

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
i followed the thread last year and i'm keen to give it a go but i don't have a bike, i don't have a CA license and i don't have a clue how to ride track. how do i get in on this shindig?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Get CA licence, borrow a track bike, turn up, listen to sage advice & race.

Over the years we've had a few mtbers turn up from farkinburn and elswhereafter Dunk dragged me along; jasco, fatnold, poncho, SpoonBoy (aka dagonz), Big Dog (aka the Shaggy Dog/GtBJ), Stromy, Goldie, the Minty Monkey, who've I missed..

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Shall be there! I should renew my CA licence!!

Will race div 4 for a bit this year but hopefully step up quickly as I get my fitness back :/

Cheers
Gonz

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I miss the weekly winter rides at Dunc Gray. My friend here in Perth is one of the organisers of the fortnightly winter series here. I have been pushing him to introduce some of Paul's more "interesting" events as apposed to the standard PS and Miss'n'Out etc for a bit of a change.

Perth equivalent
http://www.trackcyclingwa.com.au/?page_id=130

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I miss the weekly winter rides at Dunc Gray. My friend here in Perth is one of the organisers of the fortnightly winter series here. I have been pushing him to introduce some of Paul's more "interesting" events as apposed to the standard PS and Miss'n'Out etc for a bit of a change.

Perth equivalent
http://www.trackcyclingwa.com.au/?page_id=130
What about Win 'n' Outs? I hear they can be fun/torture :p

I should be out some time this season, not a heap though. The first couple of weeks I'm going to be OS.

Looking forward to rolling around again though.

-Garth

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hmmm, better pump the tyres up. I'll miss the first round but should be there in div3 or possibly 2 after that......... depending on which looks safer.:eek:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Week 1

Sounds like week 1 is a made for Jasco special

Week 1 Feature Race
The RAW Track 2km Pass’n’Out Wheel-race

• This weeks feature race will be the RAW Track 2km Pass’n’Out wheel-race
  • Riders finishing in the top 2 of the warm up scratch race from Div 1-4 will qualify
  • Total prize pool exceeds $250 worth of cash and prizes.
  • Pass’N’Out Wheel-Race: This is a handicap over a distance of 2km whereby riders start at (e.g.) 20m intervals. If a rider is passed they are immediately eliminated from the race. The result will be determined by either; riders across the line after 2km or by last riders t be eliminated.

First week’s Program

• Round 1 warm up Scratch
  • Round 2 Div 1 The RAW Track 2km Pass’n’Out wheel-race
  • Round 3 Win’n’out
  • Round 4 Point scores (3 sprints)
  • Round 5Time Blaster” (Time Blaster time is 9:00sec) and Combines
  • Round 6 Race video replays, Cyclists pasta and refreshments in the HBT.

Blue indicates Series Points scoring rounds

Explain these races
Win’N’ Out This is the opposite of a Miss’N’Out race. After a designated number of laps a whistle is blown for the first sprint. The winner of the first sprint is deemed the winner of the race and allowed to carefully withdraw from the race. Each proceeding lap sprint will produce the consecutive places from 2nd to 4th. Tip if you go for a sprint make
Point score- Riders must score points by sprinting for intermittent sprints every ?? laps for bonuses (5, 3, 2, 1 points). Lapping the field scores a bonus 20 points, consequently losing a lap to the field scores -20points. Winner of the race is the rider with the most points.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Is there any set date and times of track sessions?
From memory Bankstown Sports Cycle Club have a session Wednesday nights

Else the track is open from 8am - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. You need to sign in at the Cycling NSW front desk (and have a CA Licence I think). Ring ahead to check it is not closed for any reason (tel 9743 9889). they have track bikes available for hire also.

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who and where? I don't ever want to be on the track at the same time as him.

Did you see him turning right in the first 1 or 2 seconds of the video. :eek:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
George Lowe, RAW Track on friday night....
yowzers !!! What grade is that, you might want to change out of it :)
Div 3. I missed it all while getting changed, all I heard was Crafty suddenly go silent (and it's not often you hear that). Mike (the guy in fluoro arm warmers) was still shaking some minutes later when I spoke to him.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Week 2

This week’s Races

• Round 1 Warm up Scratch
  • Round 2 “No – Race this week”
  • Round 3 Graded Sprints (4-6 riders per heat) ….(Hillbrick Series)
  • Round 4 Winners Race , Div 1= Madison
  • Round 5 combines
  • Round 6 Race video replays, Cyclists pasta and Beer in the HBT.

Explain these races
Sprint- RAW Track sprints are usually run as 4-6 ups over 3 laps the first few laps are usually spent sizing your opponents up and positioning yourself for the optimum explosion to the finish. It is not uncommon for a sneaky rider to attack early in the hope of holding a lead to the finish. The sprint is a test of power, speed and above all, tactics.
Winners Race- The race is over 16 laps. There is a sprint with 12laps to-go, the winner of this sprint qualifies for the final sprint, however he/she must continue to race, keeping a close eye on the winners of the sprints with 9, 6 and 3 Laps to go. Each of these riders also qualifies for the final sprint. With 4 laps to go all non-qualifying riders must withdraw from the race. Leaving a 4 up sprint to decide the final placing. You can work out all the tactics on this one.