RC4 oil weight?

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
Ok about to do a first service on a RC4 and wanting to know if they run 5 or 10 weight oil. It is the first gen of RC4. Thanks for the info.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Dude don't put that light weight oil in it.. It is 20W oil.
Actually no, its 10wt.

This is what happens when you consult a forum rather than the manufacturers service info.

If it were Rockshox you can be forgiven, their web stuff is crap. But FOX is actually useful (albeit not all that user friendly).

Last edited:

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
I couldnt find the oil weight for a shock only forks on fox sites. I forgot that half the people on hear love to comment even if they have no idear. Maybe I should run water in it.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually no, its 10wt.

This is what happens when you consult a forum rather than the manufacturers service info.

If it were Rockshox you can be forgiven, their web stuff is crap. But FOX is actually useful (albeit not all that user friendly).

hahahhaa. that is all. Thank you for correcting oh so serious me

.Sam

Likes Dirt
I couldnt find the oil weight for a shock only forks on fox sites. I forgot that half the people on hear love to comment even if they have no idear. Maybe I should run water in it.
AHAHHAH theo you got ripped.

This water thing spread like wild fire

udi

swiss cheese
The stock damping oil in the Fox RC4 (and most current Fox dampers, including FIT fork cartridges, but excluding open bath fork cartridges) is Fox "Red" 10wt.

This is relabeled Silkolene Pro RSF 10wt. It has a viscosity of 47cSt and a VI of 300.

I would be using that exact product, as Silkolene oils run thick for a given weight (so any old 10wt will likely be significantly thinner) and the high VI number is important for temperature stability in rear shocks. There are plenty of distributors and retailers in Australia.

The stock damping oil in the Fox RC4 (and most current Fox dampers, including FIT fork cartridges, but excluding open bath fork cartridges) is Fox "Red" 10wt.

This is relabeled Silkolene Pro RSF 10wt. It has a viscosity of 47cSt and a VI of 300.

I would be using that exact product, as Silkolene oils run thick for a given weight (so any old 10wt will likely be significantly thinner) and the high VI number is important for temperature stability in rear shocks. There are plenty of distributors and retailers in Australia.
This, and nothing else.
People, don't trust oil "Weights". Oil weight is not a consistent unit of measurement, especially not when comparing different brands.