Really bad cable rub

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On the weekend as I was cleaning my bike I noticed some really bad cable rub on the seat stay on my alu Trek.

I look after my bike fairly well but this must have just passed me by and now it has rubbed a channel (probably 1.5-2cm long and 1-2mm deep) in the seat stay. There was a frame protector on the spot but it has rubbed straight through it.

I can only think it must have happened with a fairly short time span as a I do tend to check my bike out fairly regularly.

My questions are - is this a complete disaster? Not sure if that will significantly weaken the frame or not.

If there was an issue what would this mean for a warranty claim?

teK--

Eats Squid
On the weekend as I was cleaning my bike I noticed some really bad cable rub on the seat stay on my alu Trek.

I look after my bike fairly well but this must have just passed me by and now it has rubbed a channel (probably 1.5-2cm long and 1-2mm deep) in the seat stay. There was a frame protector on the spot but it has rubbed straight through it.

I can only think it must have happened with a fairly short time span as a I do tend to check my bike out fairly regularly.

My questions are - is this a complete disaster? Not sure if that will significantly weaken the frame or not.

If there was an issue what would this mean for a warranty claim?
Post pics.

stirk

Burner
Wow that's some serious rubbing going on there!

I'd think the integrity of the stay should be fine although it's a good excuse for a new bike.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like your thinking! Unfortunately a new bike will have to wait due to outrageous dental expenses.

It's funny because the cable doesn't really run that close to the stay.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
yeah when you compress the suspension it touches - I meant more that's why I didn't notice it.
If your worried about it, get someone to thickness test it for you. Sometimes cable rub looks worse than it actually is, as it leave ridges at either side of the rub mark that makes it look deeper.
You could also get someone to weld and fill it and polish it (seeing as it's a polished Trek frame anyway)

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't believe you didn't notice it before it got that bad :faint:

I know...I swear it must have happened really quickly I usually keep a close eye on my bike...:Cry:

To be honest I'm not worried about looks, just structural integrity (and resale value I guess!)

anyone want to buy a Trek - barely a scratch...

teK--

Eats Squid
I've seen worse and no one died!

Gripsport should be able to fix.

I would buy a new bike and not worry about it :)

Minlak

custom titis
I know...I swear it must have happened really quickly I usually keep a close eye on my bike...:Cry:

To be honest I'm not worried about looks, just structural integrity (and resale value I guess!)

anyone want to buy a Trek - barely a scratch...
I'll be honest I like you.... So I'll tell you what I'm prepared to take it off your hands for a nominal fee for your own safety.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Right so the consensus seems to be 'buy a new bike'.

Except then I end up looking like Turtle Man due to lack of dentistry....

Think I'll chuck some sellotape over it and keep riding!:llama:

will2

Likes Dirt
I had a 2007 Giant reign with similar rubbing. Albeit, in around 6 spots on stays and on the front triangle, It cracked but in the seat tube/top tube junction. This was completely unrelated to the wear points.

Long story short, don't worry about it, honestly it will be fine.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Right so the consensus seems to be 'buy a new bike'.

Except then I end up looking like Turtle Man due to lack of dentistry....

Think I'll chuck some sellotape over it and keep riding!:llama:
Meh, better than ending up like this...

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have the same frame, just checked mine. Seems fine, plastic is still there. I'd say your brake-line was too tight, run abit more loop in it and it'll be fine. Mine clears the frame by 7-8mm.

If it's really a big deal to you, take it to your LBS and take advantage of the Trek warranty. More than likely, you'll just get a replacement seat-stay part which wouldn't be in the silver.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That does look pretty severe.
I'd get it checked out by Trek, they have a 2 yr warranty on the rear triangle so you should hopefully be in warranty still.
That is going to make me look at mine (I've a Fuel EX 29) when I get home tonight. I've covered it in Frameskin but cables can eat that easily.

Good luck!