Rear Air Shocks on Downhill Bikes?

Hi, I just wanted to get someone's opinion on air shocks for the rear suspension on DH bikes.

So, the story goes that I accidently broke the rear coil suspension that was on my 06' Giant Faith 1.
To get it repaired will cost me about $300 apparently, however my local bike shop are telling me that they have a Manitou Swinger 3-way air shock that they believe will work well.
I just wanted to get the opinion from someone that has used it on DH bikes previously, or if possible tell me any advantages/disadvantages from going from coil to air shock?
I have heard some people say that it may not work well for heavier people however i'm only about 65kg so I don't think it will be to much of an issue.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

moorey

call me Mia
You'll pick up a SH coil shock cheap, but yeah, air will work. If you can get one in the right length, a fox DXX air 5.0 shock is a bonza thing.

morticus

Likes Dirt
$300 will get you a second hand fox RC4, or $150 can get you a good second hand late model VAN RC. Depending on the size/stroke of the shock of course...

driftking

Wheel size expert
$300 will get you a second hand fox RC4, or $150 can get you a good second hand late model VAN RC. Depending on the size/stroke of the shock of course...
This

Air shocks will work and have come a long way to almost if not match coil now but i would only really put this to the bigger top range air shocks. I wouldn't trust a lower range air shock to give you equal performance to a coil.

Second hand RC4 would be the way to go in my opinion.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the same shock in my Reign, I weigh a good 50KG on you and it handled my abuse perfectly fine. Also for the price you're getting the Manitou brand new is a steal and you won't find a decent second hand coil shock nearly as cheap.

moorey

call me Mia
I had the same shock in my Reign, I weigh a good 50KG on you and it handled my abuse perfectly fine. Also for the price you're getting the Manitou brand new is a steal and you won't find a decent second hand coil shock nearly as cheap.
Not unless you take 15 seconds to look :crazy:
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?267279-Fox-DHX-RC4-w-2-springs-300
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?267102-Fox-DHX-RC4
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...g-very-cheap!mint-condition-need-it-gone-ASAP!
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?265250-DHX-RC4-going-cheap!

crazy-man

Likes Dirt
I had a similar shock on my old 08 norco a-line park. Never had a problem with it and I was 95kgs. If it's cheap enough have a go at it. You can always sell it if you don't like it.

MARKL

Eats Squid
It will work but probably not a good mix. I have attached the leverage curve for an 05 Faith (same bike). Giant Faith_LevRatio.jpg

As you can see the leverage ratio decreases through the travel (number becomes smaller), effectively this means the suspension gets progressively stiffer through its travel. This is typical of suspension systems optimised for a coil shock. An air shock also tends to get progressively stiffer through its travel, this can be compensated by using a larger air can to some degree.

The combination of the air shock getting progressively stiffer along with the suspension design of the Faith is not ideal and will make it hard to set sag properly and use all of the available travel. There was a twin tube version of the Swinger 3 way air which gives a larger air volume and hence a more linear spring rate, this is the version you want. The other thing to keep in mind is that the 3 way is fairly old shock and even a new one that has been sitting on the shelf is effectively NOS and may be due for a service anyhow.

Personally I would stick with a modern coil.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No conflict of interest there.....
I stand by my preference...buddy.
^^^this man, he knows
to broken bones
too much conflict of interest for you to be advising him esp when he has come on here to seek advice from others and your still shoving it down his throat, pretty poor form from a shop employee if you ask me....

moorey

call me Mia
There's nothing wrong with a 3 way to be honest. I have had the same one on my Dh for 9 years, I just hope you can be fully impartial, which I'm sure you will be.

Edit. Forgot we were talking about the 3way air, not the 3way coil like mine.
Haven't used one, but it's not something I'd be keen to put one on a bike like yours.

Last edited: