Rear derailleur fitting help - hitting spokes

beak_hunter

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,

Hoping for some help. Crashed my brother in-laws road bike as car didn't give way. Put wheel out of true, bent the derail hanger and probably derail too.

Got wheel trued by LBS, purchased new hanger and new derail.

I fitted the new hanger and Derail but the cage is skimming a spoke or two per revolution when on highest gear.

Any ideas?

I don't think it is related to high limit screw as this is all the way in.

Could be it spoke tension?

I've bent frame part that hanger attaches to?

Wheel looks true enough.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to learn bike mechanics hence doing this myself. Been trying to do it based on Internet videos.

Thanks

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi guys,

Hoping for some help. Crashed my brother in-laws road bike as car didn't give way. Put wheel out of true, bent the derail hanger and probably derail too.

Got wheel trued by LBS, purchased new hanger and new derail.

I fitted the new hanger and Derail but the cage is skimming a spoke or two per revolution when on highest gear.

Any ideas?

I don't think it is related to high limit screw as this is all the way in.

Could be it spoke tension?

I've bent frame part that hanger attaches to?

Wheel looks true enough.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to learn bike mechanics hence doing this myself. Been trying to do it based on Internet videos.

Thanks
Sounds like your hanger is out of alignment. You're very lucky if you can fit a new hanger and end up with it being perfectly aligned. 10 min job for the bikeshop if you don't have the alignment tool yourself. Basically it's a case of unscrewing your derailleur and letting it hang, screw in the alignment tool (a metal bar with an adjustable pointer at the end), and then rotate the tool around your rim in 90 deg increments and checking the gap is the same at all 4 points. If it is out, you tweek it with the bar till you get it within a few mm.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Fair enough - I need a derailleur hanger screw. Got to the point of fixing the hanger after doing the cassette, shifter, cable/outer, etc. and realised that my plans were farked.

Fark plans.

Minlak

custom titis
Fair enough - I need a derailleur hanger screw. Got to the point of fixing the hanger after doing the cassette, shifter, cable/outer, etc. and realised that my plans were farked.

Fark plans.
I made one.... found the thread size cut it to length loaded it up in the drill and filed off the head edges until it fitted. Could not find the proper one anywhere

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
FYI- You need to adjust the "low" limit screw which refers to the low range gears(biggest cog) to prevent spoke contact.

beak_hunter

Likes Bikes
Thanks very much guys for the replies. Really appreciate it.

Sounds like it is the hanger even though it is new.

I did read somewhere on net that say 1 in 10 new hangers don't need alignment. Hopefully it is as simple as that.

I'll either take to lbs or buy alignment tool.

Thanks