Rear derailleur install + chainline problems.

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
Hi Guys,

I'm nearing the end of a build however am having a hard time installing the rear derailleur and getting it functioning properly. I have set the limits, but it doesn't seem to be sitting in the frame right, it looks too high and is rubbing on the frame when in the highest gear (small cog). The derailleur is pushed up against the tab on the dropout but it still looks odd. I'm thinking the chain is too tight, however I followed Sheldon Browns chain length guide to the T, eg. big-big with one full link extra, http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain. It's on a hard tail, how do others measure there chain?

Also another problem, I'm running 1x10 from a 2x10 XT crankset with the ring in the outer position, I heard there may be problems with chain line but mine is terrible, front ring is centered near the lower end of the cassette maybe gear 7-8. When in the lowest gear (big cog) there is bumping and other none smooth noises going on, I have a 73mm BB with the standard 2.5mm spacer on the drive side. I could take this out however my chainring is very close to the frame as it is, any other solutions?

I've attached photos below, all solutions will be useful, Cheers.

photo 1.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 4.JPG

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Is the derailleur on the hanger properly. There should be a hook on the bottom of the hanger that the derailleur sits behind.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Is the derailleur on the hanger properly. There should be a hook on the bottom of the hanger that the derailleur sits behind.
This

Should be floppy and hang straight down when no chain on - it doesn't look like it's behind the tab on the hangar

Edit - the very last bit of the deraileur (it's black on yours) should be parallel to the ground, yours points straight down which indicates it's in front of the tab, not behind

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y9NzeaezFCc

As good as any of the 100 others

Last edited:

takai

Eats Squid
Furthermore to the last few posts, there is a little tab, which will go behind the 'hook' on your derailleur hanger. Looks like yours is on the forward side of the hook.

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the responses, it's defiantly not the b screw, i was playing round with that and fully wound it in and out to be sure. I double check without the chain and see the tab. Cheers.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Also another problem, I'm running 1x10 from a 2x10 XT crankset with the ring in the outer position, I heard there may be problems with chain line but mine is terrible, front ring is centered near the lower end of the cassette maybe gear 7-8. When in the lowest gear (big cog) there is bumping and other none smooth noises going on, I have a 73mm BB with the standard 2.5mm spacer on the drive side. I could take this out however my chainring is very close to the frame as it is, any other solutions?
Not sure about Shimano but I know the SRAM 2x10 chainrings are spaced differently so that they sit in between a conventional 3 ring spacing, which means the outer ring is usually too far outward for a 1x setup. It looks like this is the case for you as well, and your best bet is probably some spacer bolts. Judging by the chainline pic, I doubt you'll be able to go too far, but having said that I've never used them. My 1x conversion was nice and simple as I purchased a SRAM direct mount 1x chainring, which corrected the chainline.

As others have said, check the mounting tab for the derailleur, and it is obviously not right when in the lowest cog. I would also recheck chain length in the highest cog once you get that sorted, as it does look short.

cobba

Likes Dirt
As already mentioned the 'black link' on the derailleur that attaches to the derailleur hanger is in the wrong position, it needs to be pushed back to a more horizontal position.

Attachments

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
Nice frame BTW ;)
Cheers, It'll be in the post your ride section when I get it sorted.

Thanks every one for the responses, it was the tab being infront of the hanger which caused the problem, its all sorted now. Still looking at options for the chain line.

Not sure about Shimano but I know the SRAM 2x10 chainrings are spaced differently so that they sit in between a conventional 3 ring spacing, which means the outer ring is usually too far outward for a 1x setup. It looks like this is the case for you as well, and your best bet is probably some spacer bolts. Judging by the chainline pic, I doubt you'll be able to go too far, but having said that I've never used them. My 1x conversion was nice and simple as I purchased a SRAM direct mount 1x chainring, which corrected the chainline.

As others have said, check the mounting tab for the derailleur, and it is obviously not right when in the lowest cog. I would also recheck chain length in the highest cog once you get that sorted, as it does look short.
Yes, that's exactly the case here, I would prefer a dedicated 1x crankset I've got a Zee crankset on another bike, however looking for a somewhat lighter option and not as expensive as xtr and 11 speed, on this one. Yeah, I'm now tossing up whether to buy a 3x which may be better and sell the 2x, I'll also look at the spacer bolts

teK--

Eats Squid
Cheers, It'll be in the post your ride section when I get it sorted.

Thanks every one for the responses, it was the tab being infront of the hanger which caused the problem, its all sorted now. Still looking at options for the chain line.

Yes, that's exactly the case here, I would prefer a dedicated 1x crankset I've got a Zee crankset on another bike, however looking for a somewhat lighter option and not as expensive as xtr and 11 speed, on this one. Yeah, I'm now tossing up whether to buy a 3x which may be better and sell the 2x, I'll also look at the spacer bolts
Get an XT 3x cranks et and use middle ring position

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I use a 2x slx and find the chainline fine with. A 30t raceface. All the other 2x in my riding group use 2x cranksets. That is not by design , it's just what we all bought before going 1 x.

At worst 1x could probably wear a chain faster in the outside cogs, it also might be a bit noisier because of the narrow wide chainrings which make more noise anyway ( you swap clanging for grinding).

Don't over think it is my view

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
I use a 2x slx and find the chainline fine with. A 30t raceface. All the other 2x in my riding group use 2x cranksets. That is not by design , it's just what we all bought before going 1 x.

At worst 1x could probably wear a chain faster in the outside cogs, it also might be a bit noisier because of the narrow wide chainrings which make more noise anyway ( you swap clanging for grinding).

Don't over think it is my view
Yeah am learning towards this, it's more from an efficiency aspect when climbing in the lowest gear (big cog), it is noisier but only in the lowest gear, I probably won't spend too much time in it anyway.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
3x crank isn't going to help you much. your chainring is already close to the chainstay, i'd rather leave it where it is and deal with the noise in the lowest gear, then damage the frame.

a smaller ring will afford you more room, (30T ring as mentioned has spacers built in as well) but for that current ring size, i'd leave it... and be applying some sort of frame skin in that area.