Rear deraillieur damage!

dave3107

Likes Bikes
Need some help Farkiners - perhaps it is a simple problem(??!!):confused:

Yesterday, while riding my 2-week-old Trance X1, I took a corner too fine and squashed my rear deraillieur against a burnt stump :eek::mad:. It got bent into the spokes fairly severely, but I was able to gently pull it back out and ride back to the car. However, it's not quite right and makes some minor noise. Furthermore when on the largest gear it touches the spoke (obviously needs immediate repairs!)
My question is, can I just trust it to be repaired or should I just find the $130 and replace it? It is the SHIMANO XT SHADOW gear. I am generally a (serious) weekend warrior, have never raced, but will prob. do some racing for fun in the near future.
Any thoughts??
Cheers :)

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is why the replaceable hanger is a good thing. Without seeing exactly what's happened - Sounds like it still works but the hanger is crooked.

Most shops will be able to fix it with a new hanger & maybe a bit of muscle if the mech is actually bent too..

The hanger will cost between $30 to $40 and the cost of a service.

wittman13

Likes Dirt
With a bit of luck it will only be the hanger. I had the same thing happen to me a week and a half ago. Unfortunately, when i put the new hanger on the rear mech was twisted, so a new one was ordered.

This is the second time this has happened to me. Although, it does provide a legit reason to upgrade, although in your case you would of hardly worn off the new bike smell.

I would suggest that when you get the hanger replaced, grab yourself another and put in with your tool kit when you ride, so you can replace it on the trail and keep on riding.

dave3107

Likes Bikes
Thanks!

Thanks to all for the advice. :eek: I think I will have to replace it because the mech is also looking quite unwell.

I'm not inclined to update because I have been very happy with the Shadow gear and this would have probably happened to any quality hanger.

Thanks again!