Rear Maxle = dead

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
So today when I went to reassemble my bike the Maxle on the back wouldn't tighten up before doing up the QR, it just kept spinning.

OK, shit I think to myself, as I pull it out and it's snapped clean from the shaft just below the threaded bit, the only thing holding it together now is the QR skewer that goes through it. Basically the last 1.5cm or so which is threaded has snapped just after the thread where it's slightly recessed before the rest of the shaft...if you own a Maxle or are familiar you might understand where I'm talking about, it pretty much looks like the spot it would break if it was going to.

I understand it's not safe to ride, but it seems to still work well even though it's just spinning (most of the thread will engage I'm fairly sure, I just can't tighten it at all) the QR will still tighten it up and it 'feels fine' around the driveway. Basically I'm not gonna ride it as all that's holding it together is the QR skewer and I'm not gonna hope that holds out on a 1m drop or so.

Has this happened to anyone before, or has anyone heard of this happening. I've read about trouble people have had with front Maxles but not the rear..it's just over a year old, been looked after, and is on my 08 Norco Six1 if that helps in my next part..

Can I get a replacement shaft, it's obviously gonna get entirely replaced if the price isn't that much different to a brand new complete unit...but will this be safe if I only replaced the shaft?
It definitely broke yesterday at some stage and was ridden only a matter of hours after it happened, went out for a morning of fun and then some commuting after woulds to my mates place, then into the car.

...or could I fit a bolt up axle, assuming I could find one that was correctly sized and what not..I'm not to into paying for a new Maxle as I didn't really think it was that secure anyway. What do you think about warranty, 14 months old?