Rear shock for 06 Giant DH Comp

pieno

Likes Dirt
My mate has an 06 Giant DH Comp which he has managed to destroy the shock on. The shock on there was an Manitou Swinger SPV 6-way coil w/remote reservoir. So hes looking for a new shock, from memery I belive they are 8.5 eye to eye with a 2.75 stroke but I could be wrong....

The thing is he needs a shock that has a remote reservoir, or is slim enough to fit in the frame. Does anyone know of a shock that would work?

I think he would be happy with something second hand if possible, I just dont know if only the Swinger will fit in there?

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
this topic comes up regualry...the remote manitous are crap! im suprised it lasted this long.

You can fit a DHX in there, which if you look around most guys are running.

This is my brothers bike as an example the last photo is the best to explain.

If you need any help on hardware sizing let me or him know.

stinkybigmacc

Likes Dirt
Whats actually wrong with the shock? They not expensive to have rebuilt and it will save your mate a bunch of hassels with shock adjustment issues.

pieno

Likes Dirt
I have no idea what actually went wrong with it. But apparently its unrepairable....I'm not sure if this is the bike shop or manitou saying this though. I'm actually on the other side of the world but just trying to help out.

Thats for the photo of the DHX, so can someone confirm that it is 8.5 *2.75?

Might just recommend he picks up a second hand shock, are the spring rates much different between the DHX and the Swingers?

Is the eye diameter the same with fox and manitou? I remember one of the manufactures was different

S.

ex offender
I have no idea what actually went wrong with it. But apparently its unrepairable....I'm not sure if this is the bike shop or manitou saying this though. I'm actually on the other side of the world but just trying to help out.

Thats for the photo of the DHX, so can someone confirm that it is 8.5 *2.75?

Might just recommend he picks up a second hand shock, are the spring rates much different between the DHX and the Swingers?

Is the eye diameter the same with fox and manitou? I remember one of the manufactures was different
Nah Fox are 12.7mm (half inch) DUs, Manitou are 12.00mm. Spring rates should be fairly similar, bit higher on the DHX if anything, but unless he's really picky he'll probably get away with the same rate.

Pretty sure the 8.5x2.75" thing was only ever made by Rockshox for the old ATXs, I'm fairly sure it was actually a 9.0x2.75 on the DH Comps. Weird size.

Last edited:

donny70

Likes Dirt
Nah Fox are 12.7mm (half inch) DUs, Manitou are 12.00mm. Spring rates should be fairly similar, bit higher on the DHX if anything, but unless he's really picky he'll probably get away with the same rate.

Pretty sure the 8.5x2.75" thing was only ever made by Rockshox for the old ATXs, I'm fairly sure it was actually a 9.0x2.75 on the DH Comps. Weird size.
Sorry to jump on this thread with another question and not an answer as I'm doing a rebuild of my own DHcomp frame. You might know though. Seeing as the original shock on the DH was 9" would it matter if a smaller shock such as 8.75 or 8.5 was used? Would it lower the BB much or affect the handling? Again sorry for the extra questions....

Last edited:

s_t_3_v_3

Likes Dirt
I can confirm that the DHX size is NOT the 8.5"!
I can confirm that the DHX size is 8.75"

Sorry to jump on this thread with another question and not an answer as I'm doing a rebuild of my own DHcomp frame. You might know though. Seeing as the original shock on the DH was 9" would it matter if a smaller shock such as 8.75 or 8.5 was used? Would it lower the BB much or affect the handling? Again sorry for the extra questions....
The 8.75 is the closest fit to the original. The BB does sit slightly lower but it works a charm if you love a low BB. It ploughs like a dream. Id say the 8.5 would sit a bit too low. with the 8.75, i havnt sat on a lower BB on any other bike. Absolutely nothing wrong with it though!