Rear Shock Question

leftykonashred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok guys my 2009 kona stinky has 7" rear travel and i was wondering what is the max shock length i could put on it
and could i run with a piggy back
cheers
Anyhelp appreciated

Lefty

zanus

Likes Dirt
Yes, you could run a piggyback shock if it dosent hit anything when going through the travel. I suggest you check the specifacations in the manual or go online about the size.

T-Rex

Template denier
Ok guys my 2009 kona stinky has 7" rear travel and i was wondering what is the max shock length i could put on it
cheers
Anyhelp appreciated

Lefty
And stick to the same shock length. Changing shock lengths is not a good idea

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I've got the same bike. Look at the 08 Stinky Deluxe's, same frame,Marzocchi Roco TST R, piggy back;)

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
cheers
Anyhelp appreciated

Lefty
Also remember if you do decide to look in to this option further, that there are two basic shock measurements. Eye to eye length which is the distance between the mount, and stroke length which is how much the shock compresses for lack of a better phrase.

Sometimes you can get another shock with the same eye to eye but longer stroke to attain more travel, but depends on frame clearances as to whether this is viable.

Bikes come with a certain size shock for a reason

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
I've got the same bike. Look at the 08 Stinky Deluxe's, same frame,Marzocchi Roco TST R, piggy back;)
I've also got the same bike and i would reccommend that shock. That way nothing can go wrong and they are definatly a lot better than the crappy stock shock that bottoms out when you drop off a gutter

DownhillerDeano

I've also got the same bike and i would reccommend that shock. That way nothing can go wrong and they are definatly a lot better than the crappy stock shock that bottoms out when you drop off a gutter
Thought 09 stinky's came stock with a ROCO? Surely if it set up properly it would be running alot better than you describe...

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
they come with a roco coil r shock which is pretty much equvilent to a kmart bike shock. The only adjustment that can be made is rebound and the only way to stop it from bottoming out is to get a 500 pound spring. A new shock would definatly be worth it.

DownhillerDeano

they come with a roco coil r shock which is pretty much equvilent to a kmart bike shock. The only adjustment that can be made is rebound and the only way to stop it from bottoming out is to get a 500 pound spring. A new shock would definatly be worth it.
Maybe you need to get a 500 pound spring or whatever size to achieve the desired sag. Don't think because your spring rate is too light and the follow on effect of bottoming makes the shock shit... It's just the wrong spring rate for you. Remember, tightening the coil preload has no effect on compression dampening:D

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
Maybe you need to get a 500 pound spring or whatever size to achieve the desired sag. Don't think because your spring rate is too light and the follow on effect of bottoming makes the shock shit... It's just the wrong spring rate for you. Remember, tightening the coil preload has no effect on compression dampening:D
OK, i'm just saying that i am only 40kg and running a 400pound spring on mine, it is still bottoming out and overall it doesn't have much adjustments that can be made to make this shock feel better. If u replaced it with a roco tst r shock, this would improve the feel of the bike and allow you to comftably ride without worrying about your rear shock. Maybe it isn't a bad shock but if you are having problems with it like i am the it would be the perfect replacement for the problem this person is having.

DownhillerDeano

OK, i'm just saying that i am only 40kg and running a 400pound spring on mine, it is still bottoming out and overall it doesn't have much adjustments that can be made to make this shock feel better. If u replaced it with a roco tst r shock, this would improve the feel of the bike and allow you to comftably ride without worrying about your rear shock. Maybe it isn't a bad shock but if you are having problems with it like i am the it would be the perfect replacement for the problem this person is having.
40kgs on a 400 pound on that type of linkage is way to heavy for you I'd say. Your shock needs a rebuild, probably lost oil due to a blown seal or something, something doesn't sound right as I am 70~kgs with gear and was running a 300 and at times a 350 pound spring thru a Fox VAN and DHX 5 on a stab with similar linkage.

leftykonashred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah i am 75kgs and i have the stock 450lbs spring on
i have hit up at max a 2m drop to basically flat and no bottom out i mean nearly and i would like more adjustments.
the Roco TST R sounds good
So i could fit it on my bike though wont it be to big???
cheers

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Yeah i am 75kgs and i have the stock 450lbs spring on
i have hit up at max a 2m drop to basically flat and no bottom out i mean nearly and i would like more adjustments.
the Roco TST R sounds good
So i could fit it on my bike though wont it be to big???
cheers
I have a 450lbs spring on my roco r, I'm 65kg and I bottom it out all the time?

ecd08

Likes Dirt
oi matty that friend was deffinately not me. i said get the better version of the shock you have now....... youll be fine get a better rear and youll be shredding jordan up.:cool:

dually crew now my fellow brethren