Rear shock question??

zacapp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, just purchased a new norco aurum 2 today and it comes stock with a 2013 fox van rc shock. Now I've got a 2010 rc4 w/ ti spring on my old 2010 demo and just wondering if it would be worth swapping the whole shock or just the ti spring. I've measured the rc4 against the vanilla and it seems to be a bit shorter in length, does this mean it won't fit the aurum? Sorry I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to suspension so any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Zac.

SLoz

Likes Bikes
sorry mate your shock from your 2010 demo 8 is 8.75"x2.75". (shock length x stroke length)

The new aurums are running 9.5x3, same as the new demo 8. Unfortunately you can't swap shocks as it will change the leverage ratio/geo of the bike in a bad way. Same goes for your Ti spring, it will only fit 2.75" stroke shocks.

I would personally buy a better shock. My Van RC was rubbish, it may have just been a dodgy one but it was very basic, lacked any "pop" and use to bottom out of everything. I upgraded to a RockShock Vivid and im loving it, made the bike come to life. If you have the money then CCDB would be a great upgrade.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Your titanium spring will fit. They have more space between the coils so 8.75 will work on 9.5. I always do it that way. Saves more weight

driftking

Wheel size expert
Your titanium spring will fit. They have more space between the coils so 8.75 will work on 9.5. I always do it that way. Saves more weight
+1 should work also most springs are not listed at bind (fox is the only one i know of who does) so you have a little to play with as well. It should work.

On that not though jrewing,
Do you ever get coil bind doing this, it's a pretty good jump of .75inch. Do you find the shock feels different too as the rate will be out somewhat with the spring been Xlbs per inch and running a smaller spring does it alter how you need to tune the shock or create any sort of odd dampening issues at all?

SLoz

Likes Bikes
correct me if im wrong, but i thought that its all about the stroke length and a spring that's rated for a 2.75" stroke put on a 3" stroke shock means the shock will compress the spring 1/4" further then it was ever intended to go, and can lead to coil bind or spring failure???

Are Ti springs different from Steel springs? I've never had any thing to do with Ti's, always seems i never have enough money for that upgrade hahaha

If you can find a way to keep that Ti spring then go for it bud!

driftking

Wheel size expert
correct me if im wrong, but i thought that its all about the stroke length and a spring that's rated for a 2.75" stroke put on a 3" stroke shock means the shock will compress the spring 1/4" further then it was ever intended to go, and can lead to coil bind or spring failure???

Are Ti springs different from Steel springs? I've never had any thing to do with Ti's, always seems i never have enough money for that upgrade hahaha

If you can find a way to keep that Ti spring then go for it bud!
If you look at a steel and ti you can see the ti has significantly less coils, coil bind happens when a spring is fully compressed where the coils hit each other ie no more space, because ti springs have less coils you have more space and less coil so it takes more movement for the ti spring to coil bind.

The coil length does matter but usually you can get away with a one size smaller ti

You can see below what I mean, the steel springs have closer/more coils where the ti's have more space/less.

452930d1241200811-curnutt-air-vs-coil-2shocks-coils-ti-steel.jpg
296048d1190185636-ti-spring-dhx-rfx-springs.jpg

Last edited:

morticus

Likes Dirt
You guys just screwed me too... I had a buyer lined up for my 9.5x3 van RC to put into a 2009 demo. Fuck.

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
I've been using a 2.75" spring on a 3" stroke shock on my Demo for about a year with no problems at all. The overall end to end length of the original 3"steel spring and 2.75" Ti spring was only about 10mm so it fits fine. You'll probably find there is a slight differance in length in the same stroke shock from brand to brand.