Rear Shock tuning...

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
OK, it just interests me how many riders experience a "bottom out" on a hard landing? What I mean about bottoming out is that the spring/coil gets to maximum compression and you feel a slight "thud" on the frame.

• How high was your falling height
  • What was the spring weight/stroke length?
  • How heavy do you weigh?
  • What track (Threadbo, Awaba, etc)?

Reason for this is about a bike design with two rear shocks! One for light compression and the other for heavy compression.

I'm bored, my imagination is giving me a high

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
OK, it just interests me how many riders experience a "bottom out" on a hard landing? What I mean about bottoming out is that the spring/coil gets to maximum compression and you feel a slight "thud" on the frame.

• How high was your falling height
  • What was the spring weight/stroke length?
  • How heavy do you weigh?
  • What track (Threadbo, Awaba, etc)?

Reason for this is about a bike design with two rear shocks! One for light compression and the other for heavy compression.

I'm bored, my imagination is giving me a high
similar to corsair crown/ 2 stage racing?

yakkity yak

Likes Dirt
hmmm sounds interesting!
i know i do find i bottom out on a hard landing but bottoming out isn't always a bad thing, although i don't usually feel a big thud like you are saying

T-Rex

Template denier
Or just get a Vivid with it's interchangable bump stops.

But really, if you are bottoming out constantly on a DH track, there's something wrong with either your setup or your riding technique, either of which can be fixed without resorting to a twin shock bike.

frdlvr

Likes Dirt
Im a bigger bloke (well honestly "FAT") and I haven't bottomed out for quite a while. Reason why is ive found my settings and tend to run a firmer set-up.

If your bottoming out regularly on a coil shock it means you haven't either got enough air in your shock, your coil is under weighted or both!!!!

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Or just get a Vivid with it's interchangable bump stops.

But really, if you are bottoming out constantly on a DH track, there's something wrong with either your setup or your riding technique, either of which can be fixed without resorting to a twin shock bike.
Hmm.... my imagination got a reality check after sethius/Ivan's post... again, I asked myself why? Fox has so many tuning options, why doesn't it solve the big hits and small ones at the same time...

Yes, technique and other tuning can be done.

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
I think I thought of variable rate springs but the length of stroke is outrageously long and the bike would look funny