Rear wheel slightly skewed

Ricker

Likes Dirt
Just noticed when I spin my rear wheel, I see a noticeable side to side wobble. Must of been caused from a crash I had recently. Anyway to straighten this out? Is this what spokes can do?

driftking

Wheel size expert
yes spokes will fix this but you need to know what you are doing, wheels are very touchy and you dont want to touch them unless you know what you are doing, you need to know when to tighten and when to loosen what spoke. If you do want to have a crack make sure you have a good read online and watch some videos so you know what your doing.

Personally I'm more confident tuning and servicing suspension before truing wheels.

Last edited:

DOWN HILL DAN

Likes Bikes
Hi mate,by the sounds of it your wheel needs to be trued up.You don't need to crash to bend your wheel ether.If you hit it hard it will bend or bend a couple of spokes an thats all it takes.I know it sucks but thats mtb for you.so If your not good at truing wheels its a Good job for your lbs.truing wheels is an art if you don't no how to do it you may make it worse.so have ago at an old wheel first practice makes perfect.

Last edited:

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was truing my wheels when I was ten years old. Give it a go yourself mate.

You'll need a spoke key to fit the nipples around your rim. Turn the wheel slowly to identify where the buckle is. Once you've done this, tighten the spokes (nipples) on the side of the wheel you want to pull the rim back towards. I.e. if the rim is moving left of middle where the buckle is, tighten the spokes that connect to the right hand side of the wheel where the buckle is. If they are already very tight (unlikely), loosen the spokes on the left side where the buckle is.

Do some reading online anyway. Give yourself a bit of time, don't tighten any nipples too much (rounding could become a prob) and I'm sure you'll be right :thumb:

Ricker

Likes Dirt
I love to give things a go myself. i'll do the research and do it right. If i get it wrong. well then its time for the LBS. But I aint going to learn by just handing it to the LBS.

Thanks for the help guys

driftking

Wheel size expert
Rhys advice is only a small part of truing a wheel. You sometimes need to lossen other spokes not just tighten the others, equally it gets complicated when you get a buckle that goes to both sides, you also need to take into account the wheel dish and other directions of pull from the spokes.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good on you Ricker!

Yeah it wasn't meant to be a full run down man, like I said do some proper research and go from there. He said the wheel is only slightly skewed.