Rear wheel slipping off

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it happened twice and i dont know why,
yesterday i was at the skate park did next to nothing major and braked hard and my rear wheel came off.
the first time was the same.

it is a wheelcraft build that is in pristine condition, checked axel, QR skewer.
the only reason i could come up with was the frame itself
it's a 04 sasquatch.

what's the deal?

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Same thing hapened to a friend, on a sassy in mid-air. Unless your frame/hanger is damaged, you are just no tightening you QR hard enough.

Maybe it's time to get a bolt-up axle ?

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
is it as hard as i possibly can.
i defintely dont want anything under me slipping away...so maybe a bolt up is the way

was his frame damaged?

kona_kona

Likes Dirt
Are the cones properly adjusted ?

It seems like everything is ok though. Just check the cones, and then obviously make sure the frame isn't a little out of whack.

And it may seem silly, but make sure the wheel is in the drop outs straight/perfectly.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well the frame could be out of wack coz i bought it second hand,
but what do you mean by the cones?

|Matt|

Banned
well the frame could be out of wack coz i bought it second hand,
but what do you mean by the cones?
Cones on the hub.
What kind of hub is it? Shimano M475?

When you take the wheel off, on the ends after you take the skewer out, there are two protruding bits. They are the cones. Twist one one way, and the other the other way. That will tighten them a tad, but if you want them to stay tight, you will need a cone spanner.

But I doubt loose cones would allow a wheel to fall out.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On my mates sasquatch, I bunnyhopped and the wheel fell off.

Later that same day, another guy on a Sasquatch had his wheel fall off. I believe there was a few others on these forums like a year ago saying it happened to them to?

..Wierd :confused:

tu plang

knob
Cones on the hub.
What kind of hub is it? Shimano M475?

When you take the wheel off, on the ends after you take the skewer out, there are two protruding bits. They are the cones. Twist one one way, and the other the other way. That will tighten them a tad, but if you want them to stay tight, you will need a cone spanner.
yeah... not quite...

on your axle, which will be hollow to allow for your QR, there will be a locknut and then a cone both screwed on each end. basically if you can rotate any of these relative to the axle they are loose and your hub will need adjusting and tightening,

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
is it as hard as i possibly can.
I bet it isn't:D . Doing up a Q/R should just about hurt the palm of your hand.

I also doubt the "cones" will have anything to do with your wheel slipping out unless the things are SO far out of adjustment that you're tightening up the Q/R onto totally loose locknuts.

Check your dropouts. It sounds to me like they may have stretched open AND/OR the serrations on the axle locknuts and the Q/R itself may have worn leaving nothing to bite into the frame.

THE YETI

Likes Dirt
One of my mates that has a 12mm through axle thats allen key bolt up occassionally has problems with the wheel coming undone

jazara

Squid
Just a couple of hack ideas. If it is slipping and not undoing you could try using a bit of course sandpaper on the frame or you could try getting a couple of galvanised washers. I say galvanised because the zinc plating grips much better than just steel.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok the hub is a Dice Roulette QR and it's got 2 smaller grey bits that stick out, those are the things that fit into the dropout.
i will check them for how loose they are.

well it happened again today, but i was checking the bike so i saved it, then i did it again and well it hasn't slipped again.

problems noticed:
it feels a bit tight when i try to fit the wheel as in it doesn't just slip in
and there are next to no serations on the skewer and frame.

there is a bit of wobble/play in the bearings in the hub, that is the same with my front wheel which is brand new.

OT: is it possible to modify that hub to take on a bolt up axle?

SteveP

Likes Bikes
This might sound crazy, but my mate has a frame that's a bit splayed at the dropouts, meaning that the rear naturally sits a little wider than the hub. If you're not paying attention when you're putting the wheel in, you can tighten the quick realease with the hub sitting in one dropout but not the other, the other end of the axle sitting just inside the frame. After a riding over a few bumps the axle moves into the right place (without the rider noticing) and the quick release is now really loose because it was tightened when the frame was effectively wider.

Bottom line: Make sure that the wheel is resting in both dropouts before tightening the skewer, and when it's tight make sure the frame is clamped up on the nuts on the outside of the hub when you're finished.

JDB

Likes Dirt
Maybe you just need some better quality skewers. Not sure what brand you've got, but all skewers are not created equally. If your skewer is rubbish it might stretch under tension enough to allow your wheel to slip out. Perhaps try some high quality after market skewers. This might also be the reason lots of people with the same type of bike have been having this problem.

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But he's got an aftermarket hub. Not the stok Shimano ...

Anyone know if Roulettes are convertable to bolt-up ?

Meanwhile try a "better" skewer or some grippy-washers.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah i might go invest in some better skewers.

anyone know if those hubs are upgradable to bolt up???