reba for DJ

kanemb

Likes Dirt
Hey all just wanting to get some opinions on using a set of QR rebas 85mm to 115mm dual air/lockout forks (08 or 09 i think) on my hard tail as i wanna upgrade my shitty no damping QR DJ4 s on my STP . I use this bike for a street machine/dirt jumper, im not a mad man but ill hit up decent sized jumps if i get the chance and of late ive been thinking of riding the hard tail on some trails which dont warrant the DH bike. I found a set of rebas which i thought would be great, knock em down to 85mm or lock em out for cruising the streets and then wind them out to 115mm if im on the trails and want to put it off a drop or a bit larger jump. The problem is that i dont know if they will handle that kind of work load and i dont want them snappping and smashing me in the face when i case or flat land, as far as i understand they are a cross country fork. I know 15mm or 20mm axel option is always gonna be better but my wheelset is fairly fresh and im on a budget so i dont want to/cant buy new forks and front wheel. Anyone thoughts on this issue would be much appreciated. Cheers

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have 20mm reba dual airs on my dirtjump bike. I was a bit sceptical about it at first but after a couple of months I am very trusting in these forks. Had a few big nose cases on these, sometimes breaking me but never the forks. like you said 20mm is going to be better as it will be stiffer but I think a qr will work fine. I would leave the forks at 85mm all the time (I run mine at 80mm on a dartmoor cody with 3" rise bars and its awesome) pump them up pretty hard and have the lock out on for park and street then flip it off for dirtjumps. The main reason i got these forks was the weight of them, but if that's not as much an issue to you I would recommend going with something along the lines of pikes. x-fusion velvets are pretty sweet too, similar to rebas. I have a set of the 15mm's on another bike of mine and could probably take a bit more than the rebas can on bigger drops and gaps, I have even used them for some downhill races and they have been fine, so defiantly have a look into these forks as well, they come in a qr too.

a 10mm dropout should be fine for your uses, ive been running a 10mm for street and its held up well. although i do recommend using a bmx 3/8 hub instead of a quick release hub, as bmx hubs tend to be a lot stronger (designed for peg use and all). if not at least go for a male axle mtb hub. ive snapped qr axles in a half hour ride so i definitely dont recommend them.

also my fork does have lockout, but i never use it. just put a decent amount of pressure in the fork and itll be sweet.

tidlibit

Likes Dirt
running a set of 06 revelations on my 24" holy

were orig 100-130mm but lowered them to 50-80

run them hard 200psi + and 20 in the - chamber

qr dropout with a 9 or 10mm bmx style hub

only been on for 2 or so months but no problems in that time

only been riding street skatepark stuff but will have to see how they go on the djs

yeah my 32 float is at 90mm and i run it with 150psi (i weigh 50kg and have dodgy ankles/wrists. waiting for a warranty set) and since fox forks tend to have fairly progressive travel its ideal.

i also find the 10mm is not a big deal on dirt jumps, as usually all the force on the fork is linear, not torsional. its when you land sideways on spins and such that it flexes.

kanemb

Likes Dirt
Cool, cheers for the feedback guys, it helps ease the mind a bit and lets me explore a few more options out there. Like i said im no mad man hitting up 40 footers on the hard tail or anything like that. I just read a few things and heard a few stories about people braking non DJ/freeride specific forks and it gave me the fear.

it wouldnt really concern me, ive seen photos of broken 36 floats when riding street. no fork is indestructible especially when you ride street as its so much more abusive than dj.