Recommend a good mechanic (melb area)

dej

Likes Bikes
Gday,
Apologies if this is the wrong section..
I was hoping to get some recommendations for a place to take my bike to get sorted out.
It's a 2009 Yeti ASR whcih has an annoying creak.
It's happened in the past and I sorted it out by removing the rear derailleur hanger, greasing up the dropout and the hanger and putting it back together (along with removing the bb and cleaning etc)

I did the same last night, it was ok this morning however the creak has returned after about 40km of riding.
I figure it's probably about time i get things like suspension bearings and stuff checked out so would like someone who knows about full susser bikes etc.

I'm in the east (box hill) and work in cbd so somewhere between here and there would also be good:)
thanks!

Garrath

Likes Dirt
Give Simon a call (9830 4956) at Quality Bicycle Repairs. Located on Union Rd in Surrey Hills. Does really good work.

early1

Likes Bikes
Ok, to tag onto this thread, can anyone recommend a mechanic in the dandenongs? Is the bike cafe at Mount Evelyn set up as a proper workshop?

Lube

Likes Dirt
+1 for Gee at Trailmix (second in charge of SRAM UK workshop before moving here recently) or Tim at the Fitzy Revolution (one of my handy sidekicks as the mechanical staff of the Tour de Timor).

HIFI2009

Likes Bikes
Bicycle Recycle

Big fan of the guys at Bicycle Recycle. Probably not an obvious choice but on more than one occasion, my REALLY LOCAL LBS has been unable to deliver. Off to Bicycle Recycle - no problems, all done (and very reasonable prices).

Warwick

Likes Dirt
I'm a fan of Andrew at Kaos Custom bikes in Glenhuntly road Caulfield. He's an ex BMW master-tech, and he knows his way round a spanner.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Give Simon a call (9830 4956) at Quality Bicycle Repairs. Located on Union Rd in Surrey Hills. Does really good work.
Maybe,

My mate was quoted a $70 service fee on Fox forks (about 10 hrs use on new forks). Puts them in and is presented with a $130 bill when he picks them up. Simon doesnt do forks, he gets someone in to do them and apparently "they" will only service forks if a new seal kit is installed. Quality of the work was excellent however.

Last edited:

morkz_media

Likes Dirt
Gday,
Apologies if this is the wrong section..
I was hoping to get some recommendations for a place to take my bike to get sorted out.
It's a 2009 Yeti ASR whcih has an annoying creak.
It's happened in the past and I sorted it out by removing the rear derailleur hanger, greasing up the dropout and the hanger and putting it back together (along with removing the bb and cleaning etc)

I did the same last night, it was ok this morning however the creak has returned after about 40km of riding.
I figure it's probably about time i get things like suspension bearings and stuff checked out so would like someone who knows about full susser bikes etc.

I'm in the east (box hill) and work in cbd so somewhere between here and there would also be good:)
thanks!
Hey mate

I get all my yeti bikes serviced by Astroboy cycles in collingwood not really a shop just a mechanic with cool retro stuff but he knows his shit

Used to Australian team mechanic and rock shock service

Worth and reasonably priced

redbruce

Eats Squid
That is part of the service, no one reuses seals.
A then they should have mentioned that when quoting
B the forks had done maybe 10hrs total and were in for an oil change. I could understand if there were plenty of hours on it but even Fox say inspect the seals and replace if neccessary on the minor service.
Major service, well you would expect seals to be a replacement item then. We have 6 sets of forks in the family fleet, only one has had to have the seals replaced at a minor service (by the LBS) but all are done on the major.

Last edited:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
A then they should have mentioned that when quoting
B the forks had done maybe 10hrs total and were in for an oil change. I van understand if there were plenty of hours on it but even Fox say inspect the seals and replace if neccessary on the minor service.
Major service, well you would expect seals to be a replacement item then. We have 6 sets of forks in the family fleet, only one has had to have the seals replaced at a minor service (by the LBS) but all are done on the major.
I'm with you in this one, that's just a blatant rip off. ESPECIALLY since they quoted $70 in the first place.