Recommend a truing stand

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Time to spend the big money and buy something decent... we're using one enough to justify the purchase.
Right now the Park TS-2 is the only option I've considered so far. We're doing everything from 100 to 150mm hubs in 9, 10, 12, 15 and 20mm :rolleyes: I've used the Park before but am not completely sold on it - it's definitely made well but I feel the self-centring is a useless feature and not worth the expense.
Would love to get a Hozan but can't find them in Australia.
What else is out there that'd be shop-quality and durable? Offerings from Minoura and Tacx really don't look that good, we need something that'll last. What do you recommend?

shane_2Kona

Likes Dirt
http://www.icetoolz.com/icetoolz/index_pro3.php?parent=44&id=252

That icetoolz one looks arlight and is cheaper than a park but i have never used one. I have used the park one and think that its the best, You can also buy a whole heap of tiddly winks to attach to it like a rotor truing gauge. Its just soooooo bloody expensive. Then again so are all park tools as they have a tool kit that retails for just under $10 000, but they are really good.

emp

Likes Dirt
Ive got a park TS-2 with the adjustable base plate and I love it
I think you can get something that looks like a Hozan from BMX International

LastMile

Likes Bikes
Wow, and only US$50 for FEDEX shipping!

I've seen cheaper prices on eBay, but the shipping to Australia was always over US$100.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Got a price or rough idea for either of those Elvis?

The top one looks sweet as, was considering getting the TS-2 but if that's only a few hundred more (probably more like a K more) then I'll be considering this one..I'm just planning the back of my van which will be my mobile mechanic station.....when I get my license back...and when I get my van...lol so not for a year yet

DW-1

Dirt Works
Got a price or rough idea for either of those Elvis?

The top one looks sweet as, was considering getting the TS-2 but if that's only a few hundred more (probably more like a K more) then I'll be considering this one..I'm just planning the back of my van which will be my mobile mechanic station.....when I get my license back...and when I get my van...lol so not for a year yet
the P & K Lie was about $2.5k a year ago...

the Holland Mechanics... ;) well...let's just say that DW took out a sizable lease to get ours...

Elvis.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Ok I'm sticking the the Park:eek:

Don't plan on being a wheel builder for the whole riding community in Aus so the second one is not even an option.

I work around mailing machines (I fold paper lol) and the machine I use is pretty simple looking, but costs $500k so I can understand how much those computerized machines can set you back..a machine which can insert letters with brochures costs a few mil..but two people can run one and do 50 000 letters in a day*

*interesting (or not so) fact about where your letters from the bank come from..

takai

Eats Squid

Don't plan on being a wheel builder for the whole riding community in Aus so the second one is not even an option.

I work around mailing machines (I fold paper lol) and the machine I use is pretty simple looking, but costs $500k so I can understand how much those computerized machines can set you back..a machine which can insert letters with brochures costs a few mil..but two people can run one and do 50 000 letters in a day*

*interesting (or not so) fact about where your letters from the bank come from..
You do origami? Cool!

Nah, another vote for the Park, ive used it and the Icetoolz one and much preferred the Park.

That said, the coolest one i have seen in a while was a mangled CF road bike which had been mounted to a block of polished granite, and then setup by some fangled combination of Park tools. The guy operating the thing said it was a tribute to some famous road rider or something, and that the bike in question was one of the training bikes he had built for him and had been hit in a car accident. Old italian guy, so i could only understand about 20% of what he said.

shane_2Kona

Likes Dirt

And about who gets to read them lol.

Dane

Likes Dirt
Sorry to hi-jack.

But does anyone know if any bike shops will lend (rent) a truing stand? Preferably in the Bayside (Hampton/Brighton/Highett/etc) or Melbourne (CBD) areas. I've got some work to do but am real short on cash to buy one or get it done by a shop. I know you can just do it between ya brakes in the frame, but I find it heaps easier to do on a stand (plus its cold outside where my bike lives).