Recommend me a book

jamit

Likes Dirt
Some more books I have recently read that I recommend :)

William Gibson - virtual light (stars the bike couriers of the future!)
Virtual Light I can highly recommend this one too.
also try War of the Flowers by Tad Williams and if you like War of the Flowers try the four book series Otherland by the same author.

Last edited:

custom66

Likes Bikes
books

I know of a few books you should read, they include:

Robert Kiyosakys escape from the rat race.

Think and Grow rich.

Cashflow

O-150 Properties in 1.5 years

just to name a few....:cool:

thanks custom66

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Non fiction only for me - history, science and history of science
<insert nerdy ridicule here>

Les Carlyon - The Great War - Some of the stories are amazing. New appreciation for WWI diggers. His other WWI book Gallipoli is a good if equally long book.

Jared Diamond - Guns, Germs and Steel - where he makes the very persuasive case that 13,000 years of geographical and biological advantages gave western Europe the edge over all other human societies. I am yet to read Collapse, his sequel because I borrowed it from a mate, and lent it to another mate...

Dava Sobel - Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time - great story about the competiting sciences of physics and engineering (timekeeping) and astronomy to bring us modern maritime trade.

Hopper

Likes Dirt
As previously mentioned All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria is a great book which shows the German prespective of WW1. (Name of book is actually deceptive, the original German name is No New News on the Western Front)

Again already mentioned was The Eagle has Landed by Jack Higgins

This is non fiction and makes you feel proud of the Australian soldiers in the Pacific War Kokoda by Paul Ham, I think that if you need to read one non-fiction book this is it.

1984 By George Orwell

His Dark Arts seires by Phillip Pullman so first one is Northern Lights, 2nd is The Subtle Knife and the 3rd is The Amber Spyglass

Also a great (all be it confusing the first time I read it) is The Satanic Versus by Salman Rushdie

For adventure there is the Wind on Fire Trilogy by William Nicholson I was in year 7 when I read these though so I can't really remember if they were kiddy or not.

The Journeyman Tailor by Gerald Seymour is an excellent book about an informer for the British in an IRA village.

The Last Legion by Valerio Massimo Manfredi is a book I will always remember as it catered to my liking of ancient/classical history. It is a ficiton adventure book set around the end of the Roman Empire.

I could probably go on but this is enough of a list to keep you going for a while.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence.

Possibly the most flagrant breach of the trade descriptions act ever, this title is actually quite a good, if in parts completely mentalist, read.

I'm about to have yet another crack at reading it. I do so every couple of years and always find something new that I missed last time. Admittedly I have the concentration span of a retarded goldfish, but the book can be quite heavy going in parts and I always seem to miss tiny, yet important parts.

Take with a grain of salt, a Bex and a good lie down.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
<insert nerdy ridicule here>
Not from here, I read these things too. ;)
Jared Diamond - Guns, Germs and Steel
Yep, a goodun - when I read that one last year I followed it up with Future Eaters to fill in more of the story for Australia.

Dava Sobel - Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time - great story about the competiting sciences of physics and engineering (timekeeping) and astronomy to bring us modern maritime trade.
I was a little disappointed by this one - although maybe that's just the geek in me. I wanted more details about the clocks and the challenges of horology. The book was just too short.

McNewb

Cannon Fodder
Hi all, first post.

Nice thread. Have even recorded some of the recomendations. Not what i was expecting from a MTB forum, this place is great.

Perhaps sum of u dudes wiv sum influez cud get sum of doz yunga membas to dis fred. day may lern howta spel if youz get dem into sum redin.

I'll second Blas4me, anything by Neal Stephenson is worth a read. It sounds like you want something to keep you going for a while. I recommend The baroque cycle series (Quicksiver, The Confusion, The System of the World - 8 books in 3 volumes). Have read all ~3000 pages thrice.

The Paperboy

Likes Dirt
Just finished;-

Mailman of the Birdsville Track(The story of Tom Kruse) by Kristin Weidenbach.

I recommend this read for anyone interested about a hard Australian doing it tough.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Refrained from posting in this thread as the books I've been reading lately have been a bit poo.

In the last few days however, I've just started Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond (who incidentally is no relation to the aussie olympic shooter but is an uncle of Mike D from the Beastie Boys. true, that ;) ...) but anyway, half of farkin's already recommended it so I'll say no more. I'm also still ploughing through Wired by Bob Woodward (as in watergate scandal, washington post chief reporter etc) . It's a biography of John Belushi and it's pretty damn good! Apparently Princess Leia was a major cokehead amongst many other noted Hollywood notaries!

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT,

If you want me to recommend A book, then I can say no more than "The moon's a balloon" !

It's David Niven's (famous brit actor from the '40's) autobiography. It's the funniest and most inspiring autobio I've ever read. Full of tales of hollywood debauchery and rampant misuse of rank in the 2nd world war (he served as an officer in france. apparently it was all fine wines and french wenches for those in command!)

The man was a legend. Read his story.

Now.

:cool: