Recommend me a good size 48 clipless mtb shoe

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As the title suggests I'm in the market for a new pair of shoes. I have about $150-$200 to spend and would prefer not to go shimano. Any ideas?

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everything. XC, trail, DH and commuting. Is there a middle ground between aggressive and comfort? Something like a Northwave Sparta SBS but they only come in 47

Last edited:

EXSSVE

Likes Dirt
Northwave seem to have a decent selection, I have a pair of Rocker's that work well and are comfy to walk in. (I walk a lot of hill's :frusty: )

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
5/10s are cool but they don't come in my size. The reason I don't like Shimano is they're too narrow for my feet. Forgot to mention that in my first post. I have mega wide feet.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
5/10s are cool but they don't come in my size. The reason I don't like Shimano is they're too narrow for my feet. Forgot to mention that in my first post. I have mega wide feet.
There are some Shimano shoes that come in wide fittings. But if they don't fit then that'd probably rule out Shimano's other brand, Pearl Izumi, as well. I suspect that Northwave might be a good look since they do have form when it comes to wide fitting footwear

Mind you XC SPD shoes are lousy for virtually every other kind of MTB riding - stiff sole with not much walking grip when things get steep. If you want a do it all shoe then I'd consider spending good money on quality pinned flat pedals and some Vibram soled walking or multi-sport shoes

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
North wave mission - come in 48.

Very comfortable shoe, excellent vibram sole - I do a bit of walking it in (commuting and pushing up for DH) and not too loud to look at - although that may also be a negative.

The only problem is because it's pretty good to walk in, it's not super rigid like an XC shoe, but using it with shimano 457's and xt trail pedals the cages give it enough support that the flex is not an issue.

Also comes in well under budget. Best all round shoe I have used regardless of cost.

spurr

Likes Bikes
Sidi do the Dominator in a mega wide version, I've had the 48's for almost a year and been very happy with them. Paid a bit more through my LBS, but can be found cheaper online.

Motorhead

Likes Bikes
I have two pairs of 48s. Specialized Expert which are super comfortable because of there ultra light weight & good sizing for me & a pair of Louis Garneau whcih I got really cheap through www.pushys.com.au which aren't as comfortable as the Specialized especially on a long ride but have the T flex so they're good to walk in despite having a carbon sole.

BigTrav

Cannon Fodder
I'd say FiveTen as well. I am the same size (48) when i rode XC i had a pair of specialized SPD shoes they were ok, but if i was to go clipless now it would definitely be FiveTen. Go to the web site most of their styles come in a 48.5.