recommend me an interesting commuter

clockworked

Like an orange
Knock 20% VAT off the RRP and the shipping is 100 pounds to Australia. I emailed them a while back about a Soul.:biggrin:

*edit* according to XE that would equate to roughly $525 delivered.
nice one!

i only just got new wheels too!

cameron_15

Eats Squid
The 2012 Apollo Trace 4.0 is a sexy, sexy bicycle. Shimano Alfine 11 speed hub, Shimano Alfine Hydro disc brakes, carbon forks etc. Retail price is $1,699...

The only problem is it's got a rather bulky chain tensioner on it, with vertical dropouts you'd have to hope the chain can broken to a suitable length so as not too need the tensioner.

trace_4_2012.jpg

Possibly worth a look?

Edit: We got a Cannondale Bad girl in for a customer at work last week, It's a very rad bike. pricey, but rad. Lefty-Headshock forks are certainly interesting...

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
About $1,200, belt drive.

I rode my first ever belt drive bike about a week ago and it was the smoothest, quietest and fastest engaging feeling drive train I have ever ridden.
It felt as smooth as melted chocolate.

My next bike will be a belt drive.... Already saving $.
If you (or anynone) get the chance to test ride a belt drive don't pass up the opportunity.

I have been going through similar bikes, but decided on taking a 29er SS MTB frame, installing an alfine 11 and some carbon forks. With tubless rims and discos its going to come very close to the same 2K budgit your looking at.
Should be picking her up Friday! Can't wait!

Look into it, plenty of SS frames going cheep and you could always save a few bucks by going with the 8 speed hub over the 11. Will be interesting to see what you end up with!

rone

Eats Squid
Heeding my own advice and have ordered a Roadrat frame and fork. Heeded cameron_15s advice and have ordered an Apollo Trace 4 to donate the wheels, transmission and brakes. Can't wait.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heeding my own advice and have ordered a Roadrat frame and fork. Heeded cameron_15s advice and have ordered an Apollo Trace 4 to donate the wheels, transmission and brakes. Can't wait.
Can't wait to see that!

rone

Eats Squid
Pretty close to your estimate on page 2. Sounds awesome! I've been banned from acquiring any new steeds - this upsets me.
Tell me about it. I have an all-mountained VP Free living at work that my wife knows nothing about. I've been allowed this one because it's going to be a commuter and get me oh so fit.

Probably

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Cannondale 1FG. Light, robust, wide wheels, etc. etc.

I have no idea about the racks. I picked up a cheap 1FG frame like 5 years back and I still love riding it.

rode it today, actually.