Recommendation for precision metal machining for small job

Warp

Likes Dirt
Agreed with others. If it's something specific one of a kind thing, it's better to take it to the shop and get the machinist to do it (or find another workaround).

If you still want to pull this off from home you have to have very accurate:

- Measurement Tools (properly calibrated, etc. to make sure the parts will measure what they need to)
- Design (you'll need to understand how, why and the limitations the machinist will have). Also, you'll need to produce a proper drawing with the tolerances you require. There are several levels of fit, roundness, parallelism, roughness, etc.

Most probably you already know all this and are here just for the dirty jokes. I have always prefer tight interference fits, but that's just me. You can punch your way in with enough force/impact.

What was the question again?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Most probably you already know all this and are here just for the dirty jokes. I have always prefer tight interference fits, but that's just me. You can punch your way in with enough force/impact.
Me too, the #Throwthesausageupthehallway is no longer a joke when you become of age.

Engineering Australia
rhian@engineeringaustralia.net.au

SMS 0434197365

K2 Attack chainstay sleeved to 2012 Fuji Outland (K2 axle dropout end discarded for the original fuji pivots).

This job hasn't been powder-coated for finish yet but all fabrication and machining is complete.

You'll have to give Rhian a description of the headset operational ensemble and photos if you can't bring it in - he's in Bundoora/Heidelberg Melbourne-VIC

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jado

Likes Dirt
Wowzers! Most off topic thread of the decade, congrats banterers! :clap2:

Sorry for the absence but i had my bike stolen after my bike rack and bike snapped off my roof and I got it back 13 freakin long days later

all this banter for a degree of head angle!

So Summitfever has probably shot this out of the water, my limited but sometimes insightful engineering knowledge was giving me some doubt this anyway.

So here is the full story;

My bike has a less common ZS top headset size of 46mm - i was thinking of slackening the HA by a degree (66.3 to 65.3) and Works Components only do a head set for 44mm. A stainless steel sleeve is the suggestion. But I'm thinking the tolerances are too close to do this and the machinists would be best to have the two other parts to fabricate to.

So whats the go, dud idea or could be done??

Jado

Likes Dirt
I have machined any number of things with "tight tolerances" but it is nigh on impossible to do without the male + female components and some intended idea of use.

I can also guarantee you that your mating parts will not be exactly 46mm or 44mm. Your parts may not even be perfectly round.
See my post above Summit. Could you do it without the frame and headset cup?