Recommendations: First MTB

wombat

Lives in a hole
Dickie's right on the mark with the ride qualities of steel, I miss my old steel xc frame :cry: .

Just to clarify for the newbies though (I know I got confused when I was talking bikes to metallurgists when I first started):
Aluminium IS NOT stiffer than steel, in fact, aluminium is a very soft metal. It is however much less dense than steel, so is lighter (and weaker) by volume. So to create a frame of similar strength using aluminium instead of steel you have to use larger diameter tubing. As stiffness increases proportionally to diameter and gauge, using fatter tubes makes the frame stiffer.
So in short, it is the fatter tubes, not the nature of the material itself which makes aluminium frames stiffer.

Hope that helps clear up the issue.

Dicky

Punter God
oh yeah... oops.

i was thinking in terms of aluminium and steel frames, but typing in terms of the individual materials.

read what wombat said :)

fastrider gus

super huck
Socket said:
duncan^kona said:
what u need is a kona stab full setup with risse trixxxy 7" forks..........$2100

Eazy, you have the right idea about cheaper bikes and suspension: it IS a waste of money at that price point. The rigid one sounds like just your thing.
and you wonder why people hate you socket... :roll:

S.

ex offender
Here we go again. The guy asked for a recommendation for a first MTB, then Duncan tells him he "needs" to buy Duncan's bike for a price that's more than double what he clearly stated was his budget.

People hate me? Big shit. Complain to someone who cares. And let me know when you have something useful to say, I'll bring CNN around to hear this astonishing world first.

Are you gonna argue or just drop it?

fastrider gus

super huck
Socket said:
Here we go again. The guy asked for a recommendation for a first MTB, then Duncan tells him he "needs" to buy Duncan's bike for a price that's more than double what he clearly stated was his budget.

People hate me? Big shit. Complain to someone who cares. And let me know when you have something useful to say, I'll bring CNN around to hear this astonishing world first.

you're the one "oooh lets be friends! i dont want to be enimies! make love! not war!"
damn hippie..

stewyg

Likes Bikes

go socket. the poor guy was gettin told about all this kool stuff that he couldnt afford. a flamin like that will keep the thread on topic!

the turkey was just stupid