Reduce lever play in Shimano hydraulic brakes?

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Can I reduce the brake lever play on my new Giant Trance X2 (hydraulic Shimano 485 brakes) easily? Is there a way to do it without bleeding brakes etc?

At the moment it feels like there's lots of travel before anything happens - certainly much more than on my mate's new XT-equipped Giant Anthem 1.

I have heard that one shouldn't operate the lever without a disc between the rotors. I think I remember reading - but now I can't find the thread - that the way to reduce lever play is to operate the brake levers with the wheels out. Should I try it?

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Those brakes are never set up properly out of the box. The master cylinder cap needs to be removed ( while horizontal ) and the lever needs to stroked for a while ( please gentlemen, no jokes ! ) to remove the air from the lines. When bled, they actually feel ok. Your mate's XT brakes have an adjustment on them that allows the pads to contact the rotors a lot earlier in the lever throw. ( Assuming they are the new servo wave system)

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agreed, they're very spongey from the factory and your LBS really should have bled them for you before delivery. If it's brand spankers, you might even ask them to rectify if you're not confident yourself.

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Agreed, they're very spongey from the factory and your LBS really should have bled them for you before delivery. If it's brand spankers, you might even ask them to rectify if you're not confident yourself.
Due for its first service soon, so I'll ask. Failing that it sounds like it's time to get some hands-on time learning how hydraulic brakes work.