Reducing travel - Intense carbine

byrdsworth

Likes Bikes
Hi all

I have an Intense carbine 2016 .. bought recently new old stock
I have ridden approx 250 Ks on it.

https://spokemagazine.com/content/2016/2/12/incoming-intense-carbine-29c

I am finding it a bit of a handful for my riding style ...(or lack of)

the rear travel is adjustable from 140mm to 125mm and the fork is 160mm

what's your thoughts on putting say 140mm or 130 mm forks to make the geometry a little
less aggressive ? and changing the rear setting to 125mm ?

Cheers
byrds

moorey

call me Mia
2 sets of rct3’s. One 120/150 and other 130/160. I notice zero difference personally, other than adding tokens is different.
Some will say there’s a difference when lowered. I almost never drop them, but could fault them when I did.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^ is what I'd look to do. It should be relatively straightforward and cheap when compared to buying a new fork.

If you're also after a more lively ride could you consider changing tyres for something less aggressive? It might help...

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
My thoughts are don't do it at all. Just get used to it. Give the bike a chance. I ride a 160mm bike as my do all and love it. I came off a 150/130. I love the extra travel, even when climbing. And we do plenty of climbing my way. The bike was designed to run in that format so why dumb it down? Do you run spacers in the front fork. Best thing I did was fit 2 spacers in my DP RCT3 pikes

byrdsworth

Likes Bikes
So I did it
went to cyclinic and got my 160mm pikes reduced to 130mm

fair bit of difference ... but in a good way ...for me anyway.
bike climbs better and just feels more grounded ... always seemed to be top heavy before

so good result ....

before

after

cheers
Byrds

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
That's a nice looking bike.

I wager with the front lower, the STA will be steeper and climbing will be evening better beyond just lowering the fork.

byrdsworth

Likes Bikes
Ta.. yeah it's a looker alright

Yes agreed ..

also the rear travel can be set to 140mm standard with the 160mm fork or 125mm by changing where it attaches to the pivot

so now I have rear at 125mm and front 130 ... for the riding I do it suits me much better set up like this.

Cheers
Byrds

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I did it
went to cyclinic and got my 160mm pikes reduced to 130mm

fair bit of difference ... but in a good way ...for me anyway.
bike climbs better and just feels more grounded ... always seemed to be top heavy before

so good result ....

before

after

cheers
Byrds
I have the spider 29 reckon you have pretty much converted your carbine into one..

I was actually thinking of pushing my fork out to 140mm from 130mm just to give a bit more range when taking it proper mtb parks..

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I have the spider 29 reckon you have pretty much converted your carbine into one..

I was actually thinking of pushing my fork out to 140mm from 130mm just to give a bit more range when taking it proper mtb parks..
Do that and you’ve pretty much transformed the Spider to a Primer. And as a Primer owner i’d give that a thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk