Reign 0-Making a rather nasty noise

McPete

Likes Dirt
G'day all,
Getting back from a ride today, and I noticed that my near-new Reign 0 is making a rather off-putting and loud creaking sound when the rear suspension is compressed. It only happens when you're a good way into the travel; that is, I can bounce on the pedals to make it happen, but I can't do it standing next to the bike and pushing down on the seat/top tube.

Examining the bike revealed no cracks around the shock and swingarm mounts. The RP23 RCL rear shock however, did turn up something a little anomalous- There's an o-ring in the cavity underneath the sticker on the body of the shock. It's split, but still in place.

What do we think has gone wrong with my shock? That noise is bugging me something severe, so it's going back to the shop Tuesday to get looked at.

To be clear- I've had the bike for a week. I've ridden it offroad three times. I set up the suspension as directed in the manual. I've had the propedal on, in the firm setting for almost all of it. I have done some small drops on it- 2.5 to three feet to flat, nothing major. I've cleaned the bike between every ride. To the best if my knowledge, I haven't bottomed the suspension, but I have used about 45 of the 50mm of travel on the rear, and 120 of 140mm on the front.

Thanks guys!

cuttsy

Squid
I had the same problem with my Anthem. It turned out to be the aluminium seat post was rubbing against the aluminium frame at maximum travel. I took the seatpost out, put on some grease and the problem was fixed. I have to regrease it every month. Maybe that's the problem? Cadence, Cuttsy

McPete

Likes Dirt
Not entirely sure what you mean there- I see no concievable way for the seatpost to contact the frame aside from where it's clamped in the seat tube. I pulled it out anyway, and it still creaks.

I really hope I haven't stuffed my shock.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Take it to the point of purchase Pete ... I'm sure you have one free service ... and if not try the warranty check ... ie, "I've only had this for a week, whys it creaking on me already ... "

Good luck ...

BTW, can't imagine you without your STP Dude :) Noice change

McPete

Likes Dirt
Take it to the point of purchase Pete ... I'm sure you have one free service ... and if not try the warranty check ... ie, "I've only had this for a week, whys it creaking on me already ... "

Good luck ...

BTW, can't imagine you without your STP Dude :) Noice change
Yep, it's heading into Spearman's on Tuesday. Good job I've got the day off.

I'd stopped riding the STP because most of the people I ride with have dropped off the face of the earth... I bought my roadie and started hammering out the ks. The Reign is my re-entry into riding on dirt... On clipless pedals no less. I sold the STP to a mate, incidentally.

After I get this sorted, we'll have to go for a ride some time.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Same problem with my Reign (3 years old now, not ridden to full excess yet)

Damn bike creaks and groans like it's the Marie Celeste.

Most people( OK 2 guys) I've spoken to reckon I just need a bit of lube on the pivot points. I'm not too sure, meself but it's good to hear I'm not alone which means is probably nothing catastrophic.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seeing as the bike is new, you might want to get the bike shop to check it.

Other than that, I would completely strip the rear triangle, check all the bearings (stick your finger in and twist, if it makes any sort of crunchy noise or feeling, then its busted) clean all the pivot hardware, smear small amounts of marine grease on everything that moves.

Also, check your bottom bracket, chainring bolts, pedal threads and like old mate said previously, grease your seatpost. Seatpost is the only noise my fsr bike makes if I don't grease it weekly.

Just because the noise occurs when the suspension is compressed doesn't mean that's where the noise is.