Reign 2- 6 inch do-it-all bike.

24seven

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

a few months ago I bought a Giant Reign 2. So far it has been an absolutley fantastic bike. My skill level has increased massively and I am trying stuff that before I got this bike I wouldn't have even considered. My question is basically what would you change on the bike to make it a more jump/drop compatible. I'm not talking a 'huck' bike because that would be instant frame death. The bike is stock at the moment apart from DMR V8 pedals and Syncros Grips (see stock spec below).

LUXX SL FluidFormed™ alloy Maestro 6” of travel
rear shock Manitou Swinger Air 3-way adj. w/SPV
fork Rockshox Revelation 426 Dual Air w/Motion Control & PopLoc , 130mm/5.1”
headset FSA ahead integrated
rear derailleur Shimano Deore XT high normal (standard action) 9 speed
front derailleur Shimano Deore XT 34.9
crankset Raceface Evolve XC X-Type integrated crank/BB 22x32x44T (with outboard style bottom bracket* )
derailleurshifters Shimano Deore XT rapid fire 27 speed
cassette SRAM PG950 9 speed 11-34T
chain Shimano Deore 9 spd
hubs DT Cerit disc 32H
rims Mavic XM317 disc 26” x 32H w/eyelets
spokes 14/15G stainless
tyres Hutchinson Bulldog Airlight foldable 2.3”
brakes/levers Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic w/6” rotors
pedals Shimano M520 SPD clipless
handlebar Easton EA50 low rise
stem Easton EA50 1 1/8th ahead
seatpost Easton EA50 alloy 30.9
saddle WTB Rocket V saddle
grips Giant Lock-on

In a few month's time I may well be in the position to change some of the components. This is what I've thought of so far:

Pike's (not sure what model).
e-thirteen Dual ring thing.
New Bars and Stem (Keen to stay with Easton but will try anything that I'm persauded to!).
Cranks (RaceFace Atlas All-mountain Crank)
Keep the hubs but possibly replace the rims with some DT Swiss ones.
Larsens 2.35

This is what I think I'd like to do but I am open to suggestions. What I invisage this bike being like is half way between a Specialized SX Trail and 'Regans' http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=43915&highlight=trance (hope you don't mind me using your bike as an example) Trance.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions and hints.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I don't know what the Air versions of manitou swinger shocks are like, but i would suggest going to a coil shock if you are doing more drops and jumps etc. But in saying that, they are using air-shocks on DH bikes now, so they must have become a whole lot stronger. One of my mates had a Specialized Stumpjumper, which had a fox Air shock, he stuffed all the seals and it would only hold pressure for 5 minutes after doing some pretty hard stuff on it. Can anyone else who knows about current technology air shocks and their strength compared to coil shocks tell him some more info.
That's all i can offer mate.
cheers,
Eliot.

Sov

Likes Dirt
^^^I think you'd struggle to fit a coilover rear shock in a Reign frame, especially if it had a piggyback reservoir. I reckon you'd have to look at clearance for the spring perches quite carefully.

Your list sounds good 24seven - pretty much what I would have said. Pikes, burly wheels, shorter stem, wider bars, and chain guide. All set:) Maybe 8" rotors down the track too.

Last edited:

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The first thing I'd change is the stem , something shorter and strong.

If you decide to get oversize bars in future , now would be the time to get them and a matching stem. My personal preference (budget permitting) would be Pro tapers and a Thomson X4 stem. The Thomson stem comes in oversize only and is sex on a stick! See pic below.....

Tyres would be the next thing. I don't know about you , but I found the Hutchinson Bulldogs to be too thin in the sidewall for any real punisment and the soft compound falls apart easily in rocky conditions. You're on the money with anything Maxxis.

Cranks - My Reign 1 came with Race Face Deus XC cranks. After the first ride , a plastic sleeve that goes between the spindle and bearing fell apart. That put me off anything RF. Really poor design , but maybe I got a dud..... I'm now using Truvativ Stylos and no problems at all , really stiff and I prefer the gloss finish to the matt finish of the RF stuff. I honestly don't know how they would go with jumps / drops though.

Rims - I'm fairly sure that 317's are the old 219's. I had a set of these and found them to be really good for general riding. Maybe hang onto them until they really need replacing. You might be surprised at how much they can take.

I'm really happy with my Pike dual air 454's, fairly plush for an air fork but given the choice , I'd go with coil / oil Pikes ....even plusher ! Bear in mind you will have to get a 20mm front hub to suit the Pikes Maxle.

And as Sov mentioned , fitting a coilover shock into the frame would be great , but could be a problem. I haven't seen a Reign with one yet. Maybe a Vanilla R will fit ?.....Dunno.

Chain guide - If you don't need 3 rings up front , might as well fit one. Cant go wrong with an E 13.

Attachments

whitey_lowrider

Likes Dirt
Defently go for a new bar and stem, at least a shorter stem.
As spinner said the Thompson X4 stem is the shiznit tizle...im waiting on mine as we speak, but on a cheaper not, try the easton vice, and even some oversized ea70s. IF the cranks become an issue, you can always try some shimano hones, that can be had fairly cheap over the net. But all your other ideas, e13 chaino and 2.35 larsons are are things i would do.

24seven

Likes Dirt
whitey_lowrider said:
As spinner said the Thompson X4 stem is the shiznit tizle...im waiting on mine as we speak
How much did you pay for your Thompson X4 stem if you don't mind me asking? I've seen them on Phantom Cycles for $229.99. Is this an average price?

Cheers for your help guys. It seems I may well be heading in the right direction.

whitey_lowrider

Likes Dirt
I paid $65 US from DropNZone, but I think they retail in the US for about $75, I was just ordering alot of extras. So either way thats a good deal, coz $75 USD is $100.au bucks :cool:

tateops

Likes Bikes
hey man glad your enjoying the reign great bike hey, i would say definatly dont change the shock to a coil (if you even can) if you can i would put a fox DHX air on it i got a Dhx air 4 on my enduro elite and its such a great shock also change the tyres to more aggresive DH tyres and if you need more after that go to a diff bar and stem and cranks cheers man have fun

24seven

Likes Dirt
When I was discussing this with a couple of mates one of them mentioned that the frame might be to big for jumps. I'm roungly 6"1 and the frame's an 18". What are your opinions on this? Bearing in mind that once it's been convertered it will be used for occasional trail rides that will involve riding up hill.

Cheers guys so far I have a few ideas about what to do. Those of you who mentioned the Thompson stem- what have you done? I might have to get one of them if I get the $$$ will saving for overseas trip.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
24seven said:
When I was discussing this with a couple of mates one of them mentioned that the frame might be to big for jumps. I'm roungly 6"1 and the frame's an 18". What are your opinions on this? Bearing in mind that once it's been convertered it will be used for occasional trail rides that will involve riding up hill.

Cheers guys so far I have a few ideas about what to do. Those of you who mentioned the Thompson stem- what have you done? I might have to get one of them if I get the $$$ will saving for overseas trip.
I think an 18" will be good for what you are planning. I'm the same height as you and bought a 20" because I'm using it for trail and enduros and I don't like to feel too cramped on those long rides. I sat on an 18" and thought it felt like a good size for throwing around more.

I mentioned the Thomson stem , but haven't been able to afford the upgrade just yet. I'm running an 80mm Kona stem and 2" rise bars (had them lying around). The Easton stuff is nice but I didn't like the low and forward position with the 100mm stem and almost flat bars.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
The only thing i would change would be to a shorter stem. Don't go oversized, as you're only adding weight for absolutely no performance benefit, not to mention that it just looks plain bulky, just look for a stem that is about 75mm long. Air suspension will be fine for everything except rough DH tracks at speed, so no need for a new shock. The revelations are essentially a QR pike so again, no real upgrade needed. The wheels should be fine as is, although if they do die i'd suggest either the new Mavic version of the F519 (any help?) or the new DT Swiss 5.1D. Dual ring chainguides are pretty unnecessary, and if you're doing big enough stuff to derail then i'd start to worry about the frame choice.

24seven

Likes Dirt
Daver said:
The revelations are essentially a QR pike so again, no real upgrade needed. Dual ring chainguides are pretty unnecessary, and if you're doing big enough stuff to derail then i'd start to worry about the frame choice.
But people use these frames, or the Trances anyway, as 4X frames. They could easily derail a chain but use this frame. I'm reasonably smooth so I hadn't considered this as a possible problem. Should I?

So the Pikes and Revelation have the same diameter stanchions? What over differences are there?

I'm not saying that your wrong I'm just asking questions to find out what my best bet is with upgrading my bike.

Cheers.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
24seven said:
But people use these frames, or the Trances anyway, as 4X frames. They could easily derail a chain but use this frame. I'm reasonably smooth so I hadn't considered this as a possible problem. Should I?

So the Pikes and Revelation have the same diameter stanchions? What over differences are there?

I'm not saying that your wrong I'm just asking questions to find out what my best bet is with upgrading my bike.

Cheers.
Do it all is different to a 4x bike. 4x is going to be rougher in terms of chains coming off compared to riding trails (what you're asking). Unless you're always jumping, or always riding skatepark, or always dhing or always 4xing then a chainguide isn't necessary, but if that's what you want (which you havn't stated) then he should run a chainguide.

I can't see the need for a chainguide on an aggressive trail bike, but maybe thats just me.

Pikes and revelations have the same stantions as well as the same hollow crown (on the high end pikes). Not sure about the other differences.

24seven

Likes Dirt
Yeah that probably wasn't that obvious from my first post. Do-it-all to me means it can handle some jumps and go on a trail ride. Which when I finish this I think it will.

Cheers for the information on the Pikes and Revelations.