Reign or Remedy?

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just so you know, new Remedys sizing is abit off compared to the old ones. Have always ridden a 19.5" in Trek (2014, 2012 Remedy, 2014 Fuel). Ordered a 19.5" 2017 9 RSL when they first landed, but it's too small for me. Had a ride on a 21.5" and that fitted much better. Have since sold it and swapped to riding road for the summer, too farkin hot.

jamesb888

Likes Bikes
The reign has lyrik rct3 but the remedy has lyrik rc dual-position. Also the reign is around 500g lighter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that alloy or carbon? I put a carbon fuel ex in L on the scales in the trek store, came in 13.4 from memory. Trance is currently 12.3 without trying.

I still think 27mm int isn't enough on current trail & enduro bike wheels if carbon is used, maybe it's their mass production long lead times, but would it have killed them to make it 30int? Paulie your wheels are the model before, about 27mm ext and 21mm int.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I should clarify, I don't know whether or not they are 27mm int, was just guessing. I am pretty sure they are not 33mm internal though.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Jim, you guessed correctly, they're 27mm internal.

Alo, interesting to know. I ran a Large in Giant, an XL on my 2015 Remedy (i.e. 21.5"), so hopefully they're not far off as that's the largest size! Their sizing does seem off, I'm 6'1".

mark22

Likes Dirt
Just so you know, new Remedys sizing is abit off compared to the old ones. Have always ridden a 19.5" in Trek (2014, 2012 Remedy, 2014 Fuel). Ordered a 19.5" 2017 9 RSL when they first landed, but it's too small for me. Had a ride on a 21.5" and that fitted much better. Have since sold it and swapped to riding road for the summer, too farkin hot.
Hmm thanks for the info, good to know

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Jim, you guessed correctly, they're 27mm internal.

Alo, interesting to know. I ran a Large in Giant, an XL on my 2015 Remedy (i.e. 21.5"), so hopefully they're not far off as that's the largest size! Their sizing does seem off, I'm 6'1".
Same height as you, I'm more legs than torso. Still ride my Fuel in 19.5" and feel fine on it. 21.5" would be fine for you, 23" is massive. Had a go on one in a Remedy 8 last year when it was special ordered in for a customer.

Hopefully the Remedy 9's are still coming with Reverbs because the Bonty Drop-Line is the worst dropper post ever.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Paulie your wheels are the model before, about 27mm ext and 21mm int.
Yeah 21 internal. Wifes new roadie has 21 internal too...WTF.

Personally am not that excited about wider rims. Was running 30mm internal with ghetto tubeless 14 years ago and didn't think maxxis liked it paticularly much had no problems moving back to narrower mavic 321 and 521 rims. I guess new Maxxis will be better but I also dont like big bags unless a track really calls for it.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hopefully the Remedy 9's are still coming with Reverbs because the Bonty Drop-Line is the worst dropper post ever.
Nah they've gone to the Bont now. Is the Giant branded dropper any better?

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah they've gone to the Bont now. Is the Giant branded dropper any better?
Yep. The Trek one is about 2 generations behind the Giant one. Still better to buy a reverb or Lev if you want something that wouldn't fuck up after one ride in somewhat damp conditions.

Trek's going to get more warranties with this post than their carbon frames do using BB90/95.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Fuel EX and Slash are 29. Remedy is 27.5. (Fuel EX 27.5+ is not available in Australia)
you are right, just had a google, I was going off what a guy working in a bike shop told me , :frusty:

I should have known when he told me the Fuel and the Remedy have the same length top tube , i knew that wasnt right

I don't know why wheel manufacturers even quote only the external width. It's a useless metric without also having the internal measurement.
They do it in the hope that you'll be curious enough to look further for the internal width, thus investing more time looking at their product which increases your emotional attachment, which increases your chance of buying it.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I have a 16 Adv 0 and love it. Climbs great. Descends better

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yep. The Trek one is about 2 generations behind the Giant one. Still better to buy a reverb or Lev if you want something that wouldn't fuck up after one ride in somewhat damp conditions.

Trek's going to get more warranties with this post than their carbon frames do using BB90/95.
Giant dropper is pretty bloody good though, simple cable actuated gas strut dropper. Can't really service it, but there cheap enough to replace after a couple of years at <$300 a pop, and thats lbs prices.

Great dropper for the price.

And as for bike, get a reign. Great bikes for the coin, and the rct3 pike is the better fork. Travel adjust sucks and you won't need it, the reign climbs well enough without, and low bb's dont want a lower front end when cliver tech.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
And as for bike, get a reign. Great bikes for the coin, and the rct3 pike is the better fork. Travel adjust sucks and you won't need it, the reign climbs well enough without, and low bb's dont want a lower front end when cliver tech.
I totally agree about the travel adjust sentiment vs low bb...

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Giant dropper is pretty bloody good though, simple cable actuated gas strut dropper. Can't really service it, but there cheap enough to replace after a couple of years at <$300 a pop, and thats lbs prices.

Great dropper for the price.

It is. That's why when I got my Remedy this year, I ordered in a Drop-Line to see if it was the same.....

Wish Giant made it in more seatpost sizes.