Reign X0 or X1

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone own and ride an 08/09 one of the above and whats the feedback on them. Much appreciated, Ricko

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
Go the X1 if your doing downhill and freeriding stuff because most coil sprung suspension gives you better performance over air sprung... but if your a weight weenie and your into all mountain, XC and Enduro the X0 is for you.

The X1 is a lot cheaper so I'd go with that (I also own one)

Last edited:

Jimbo jones

Likes Bikes
i own a x 1 and it is magic. it is great for jumping, downhill, free ride, xc etc.

its a great alround bike

you should get one

shazam

Cannon Fodder
XO or X1

I got the 09 X1, great bike, handles everthing really well and you can even pedal if you have to !

Only thing I did was to put a chain guide on as the chain would come off the front chain ring when really hammering downhill.

Great value for money.

relax

Likes Bikes
I've got an X1 and love it! A very fun do-it-all bike. I use it for all kinds of riding, from XC through to mild downhill. Obviously you have to work harder on xc trails, but it is still very capable.

In the end, one of the major differences between the X1 and X0 would be the weight difference, but with the price difference you could easily buy another lighter XC to take out when you know that's all you are going to be doing.

mittagongben

Likes Dirt
great bike

i have an 09 x1 that i put a09 dhx air on the best move i could have made on that bike gives me adjustablity without having to carry around a heap of coils. it climbs ok but no one buys them for there climbing, it feels very light in the air and just all round fun to ride. the stock tyres are usuless they are the only things that let the bike down out of the shop.

i'm getting rid of mine if ur interested pm for a price and pics

m0ntague

Likes Dirt
I own a 09 Reign x1 and its great.:D The frames are exactly the same in the two models just the parts are different. If you have a fortune to spend get the X0, but the X1 can do anything the X0 can.

I very happy with my X1 and it will take a long, long time for my ability to exceed the bikes capabilities. They are very smooth to ride, and feel great ride most tracks around. Ive even done a few XC races on mine and my team won a race. Even though it is pretty heavy for that use I managed to overtake a stack of Lycra guys on super light XC bikes. Though I almost died at the end of each lap, so don't get one to do XC racing on.
But for freeride uses it handles the tracks great. I just need to get better so I can take full advantage of this bikes ability.:D

I have the XO & it is sweet.
I can use it for xc at The reactor & then head to the golf course for the A line on the dh track.

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have an 09 x1 that i put a09 dhx air on the best move i could have made on that bike gives me adjustablity without having to carry around a heap of coils. it climbs ok but no one buys them for there climbing, it feels very light in the air and just all round fun to ride. the stock tyres are usuless they are the only things that let the bike down out of the shop.

i'm getting rid of mine if ur interested pm for a price and pics
Hi Ben, what differences did u find when changing to the DHX Air? Did it climb a lil better? I am thinking of getting a DHX5 air and swapping out the dhx3 coil

addradz

Likes Bikes
The grass is always greener

Got a mad price on a Reign 1 2009 from cycology in wyong. They let me test ride it (which is unusual these days for Sydney bike shops I've went into) and I have to say the only real difference is in the difference between the Fox suspension systems they come with.

The other big decision makers for me are:

Always had Shimano running gear, i was a bit sketch on SRAM but gave it a chance even though every man and his dog likes to bag it. Once month in and it shifts well and the derailleur arm doesn't rattle around as much. Good call!

Weight wise it came in on my bathroom scales at 11.5 kg! I originally drove up from Sydney looking for a Trance and automatically switched around to the idea of a Reign, being greedy for more travel once I figured out the weight difference! I thought to myself: ONE BIKE TO RULE THEM ALL! Price per kilo was such a big influence for me.

The lighter Deus components and Mavic wheelset on the 0 couldn't make that much of a difference to the weight for essentially the same frame as the 1. I ride XC mainly but I'm not losing the race by 0.5 of a second so whoopdy doo. Its going to suit my riding style of mostly riding for time and distance and occasionally hucking off whatever looks fun to keep the juice pumping. Have to say my limits to what looks fun have expanded, It handles everything I have thrown it off. Its all fun until the SES calls in the chopper! Yeah haw!

Having said that the Float without the short travel adjustment and RP2 doesn't feel as soft in the short travel as the RP23 and the Talas. You wont care if your young dumb and have mates to drive you back up the top of the Hill. If you're riding for more than two hours however the ride will feel hard. The Reign 1 sits up high on huge forks. With the more adjustable Talas you can lower the front end a bit changing the angles and your riding posture.

I have also had a confusing time with the shock pressures of the RP2 and Float. I have my weight in pounds Plus 20% in the RP2 and it still bottoms out where as the Float I have half the prescribed weight and i never seem to get within two inches of the top of its travel. I know some smart arse out there will want to comment on why not to do this but after much trial and error this has been the best result for me.

So I hope this gives you something to think about, the Reign 1 is my first dub-sus bike and I am loving it so far. For the Price you cannot go wrong. But for all the difference in price all your really getting in the 0 is more suspension adjust ability and negligible complementary upgrade.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:

The Stinky 1

Likes Dirt
HAve a ride

Have a ride and see which one feels better if you can't decide then obviosly go the cheaper one. Hope this helps.:D

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
I have an 08 Reign X1 and love it. The wheels are the weakest link though. I got a free wheel set with the bike and about a year after I bought it the rear hub bearings shat themselves. So the spare wheel set is on now.

Brilliant bike. Handles DH pretty well, corners well and jumps well and even goes up hills. It does drop the chain on rough DH runs though.

I also test rode an X0 and it didn't feel too different to ride, but is quite a bit lighter. It'd be the better bet if you want to put in long XC miles.

tprmc78

Likes Dirt
I have an 08 X1 I can not fault the bike. I put a chainguide on the front and got rid of the small ring to stop the chain dropping. I would say it is more freeride than AM.

Head angle can be a little steep for full on downhill but it does love to jump around. It Is a very forgiving bike.

I would think that current price of a X0 would be the deciding factor between that and a X1.

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
Currently kinda tossing up between the Reign X1 and the Norco Fluid LT2.. both are in a similar price range..
How well does the Reign X1 pedal? as i do a fair bit of trails style riding but also want a bike that can take big hits...