Remedial massage in Sydney

iconic

Likes Dirt
Any recommendations for a decent remedial massage for neck, shoulder, and lower back pain?

I'm in hurtsville but would prefer something other than a rub n tug parlor or body slide

Thanks,
Peter

pylet_tibs

Likes Bikes
If you have pain, see a physio or other like-minded health professionals first. As a health professional, you should not let anybody touch you until the source of your problems are evaluated and an appropriate plan established. Especially with these cheap massage stores opening up everywhere, you just don't want to risk causing further problems from someone with no knowledge or qualifications.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
If you have pain, see a physio or other like-minded health professionals first. As a health professional, you should not let anybody touch you until the source of your problems are evaluated and an appropriate plan established. Especially with these cheap massage stores opening up everywhere, you just don't want to risk causing further problems from someone with no knowledge or qualifications.
Idk about that, the chinese one I go to in hornsby has the most thorough staff I've seen, I can go there and get a diagnosis then go to my Chiro and he will say the same.

pylet_tibs

Likes Bikes
Idk about that, the chinese one I go to in hornsby has the most thorough staff I've seen, I can go there and get a diagnosis then go to my Chiro and he will say the same.
First of all, a remedial massage therapist should not be diagnosing at all. Second, why wouldn't you just go to your chiro in the first place if you have a problem and going to visit him/her anyway. Your chiro has spend 4+ years studying.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
First of all, a remedial massage therapist should not be diagnosing at all. Second, why wouldn't you just go to your chiro in the first place if you have a problem and going to visit him/her anyway. Your chiro has spend 4+ years studying.
Diagnosing as in... Hey my lower back is sore, what can you do? They ask questions and then depending on my answers and a bit of touchy feely on the Problem area to work it out. Then they start by massaging anywhere but the lower back, working on upper back, legs, shoulders and neck releasing tension before gently working on the lower back to relieve the soft tissue and spasming muscles.

My Chiro (bro in law) has recommended this course of action as it helps the process of manipulation along. Gets good results and I go from cripple doubled over to skipping about pretty quick.

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
I'm a qualified massage therapist, and am now at uni doing a similar course.

What I learnt at TAFE in 18mths and comparing it to uni, is that it is a lot more practical based at TAFE and massage therapists need to complete a diploma and then can also move on to studying areas of needling, or specialize in a certain type of massage.

Massage therapists do basically what a physio does but just doesnt have a Medicare number.

there are a few places around Hurstville and also within the Sutherland Shire that are good.

if you want a cheapo massage $25 bucks from a student at Rankwick TAFE or you can maybe try caringbah healing centre.

I might see if I can get you in contact with one of my old teachers, she is booked out about 1.5mths in advance and only goes through word of mouth to book her. ill see what happens

clance79

Likes Bikes
so now that we've had our little pissing contest about who is or isn't qualified to diagnose and treat injuries can anyone recommend good massage therapists in the northern Sydney area because a good massage therapist can be worth their weight in gold when you are stiff and sore, and they are quite hard to find!

cheers

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
so now that we've had our little pissing contest about who is or isn't qualified to diagnose and treat injuries can anyone recommend good massage therapists in the northern Sydney area because a good massage therapist can be worth their weight in gold when you are stiff and sore, and they are quite hard to find!

cheers
Like I said before, the place in hornsby is good, chi link is the name of it, charges about $5 on top a $1 per minute rate. Cheaper for over an hour I think.