Remove

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,

Just need a quick hand, hopefully somebody on here has a bit of experience with this...

I recently purchased & installed a Kenwood KDC-U349R Headunit.

I hoped to use my iphone to play the tunes however everytime it comes up, it gives an error code saying the device is not supported.

In the manual however, it states it can use it.

FYI i'm talking about using the iphone via usb, it works fine through the AUX.

The only thing I can put it down to, is I'm not using the proper Kenwood Ipod link cable... (I have a belkin one)

Unless the headunit isn't compatible, I can't work out what I'm doing wrong.

HELP!

Last edited:

hayden olsen

Likes Bikes
some kenwood units only play a certain ipod/iphone for example my old one only played iphone 3GS and 4 but not the normal 3G or any of the older ipod touches or classics, and there is usually a specific cord but costs a shitload, i just bought a great kenwood unit and the ipod cord was an extra $90

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have the 3gs, and the manual said it will be compatable, however you cant control the actual music from the headunit, only hands on at the iphone I think.

My friend suggested I use the proper apple sync cable, as the belkin one I bought may have been for charging only, not syncing,

I will have a go at that.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
1st. They all say that... unless you send it a correct signal via a i2c bus....

2nd. if it doesn't work after you have said "continue" you can open the ipod connector and replace the resistor across a couple of the pins, this puts the ipod in different modes!! (research what resistor does what, this is easy to do! i have used 0603 resistors, but from memory they are smaller) 51K of the top of my head... but you need to check that first!

Last edited:

HLC

Likes Dirt
I put a pioneer Ipod head deck in my car about 4 years ago. My old Gen 4 iPod is permanately hooked up to it. Works fine.

The headdeck was only designed for ipods. I'm using the cable that came with the headdeck.

BUT, i can plug ipod touches in, my iphone 3g, 3gs, and now my iphone 4 through the port and they all work perfectly - they just wont charge "as this accessory is not supported by this device" or the otherway around/whatever the wording is.

Get yourself the kenwood cable. and dont use 3rd party junk* and you should be a-ok.

* i realise Belkin stuff is usually ok, but in this instance i would go factory over aftermarket. even though we are talking about aftermarket stereo's ha ha

It's pretty much all a marketing ploy because im sure the headunit will recognise that its not the right cable and is screwing everyone royally because they want you to buy the legit one.