Removing a BMX Gyro

Borci88

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, just wondering how exactly I take off this last part of the Gyro?
There's no tutorials on the internet, I'm guessing its something internal or something? It's just stuck inside the fork tube basically, apart of the headset cup or something... it sits below it anyway.

I've tried bashing on it and its just ended up bending the tabs, I dont plan on using it again I just don't want to stuff something else up. :)

Edit: Okay gyro cup moves from side to side a bit but cant go up because the headset cup is stuck? What can I do about this?

Thanks!
Borci88.

Last edited:

brennanridesbikes

Likes Dirt
its a press fit headset, you can try remove it then hack it about half way then stick it back on, is that a hoffman?

edit: just grind it off with an angle grinder, tis what id do

Borci88

Likes Dirt
Nope its a FitBikeCo., I've just been hammering on the tabs to make it pop off the headset cup, yet nothing wants to budge... is the cup screwed in or something.. or just sitting in there and demands brute force?

Borci88

Likes Dirt
Well its basically Frame and then the Gyro sits on top of that and then somehow the cup is pressed down on top of that, gonna be tough if its just lots of pulling... because its stuck solid.

bmgal666

Likes Dirt
Get a hammer and a punch/screwdriver and insert in in the bottom of the frame, place the punch on the bottom of the bearing cup and hit, make sure to hit it up evenly because you dont want to ovalise it.

The gyro plate should slide off the cup.

To put it back in, place the bearing cup ontop of the frame line it up nice and strait, place a block of wood ontop of the bearing cup and hammer back in, keep it even all the way down, you dont want one edge to go in to before the rest or it will not work properly again.

Hope this helps.

Borci88

Likes Dirt
Get a hammer and a punch/screwdriver and insert in in the bottom of the frame, place the punch on the bottom of the bearing cup and hit, make sure to hit it up evenly because you dont want to ovalise it.

The gyro plate should slide off the cup.

To put it back in, place the bearing cup ontop of the frame line it up nice and strait, place a block of wood ontop of the bearing cup and hammer back in, keep it even all the way down, you dont want one edge to go in to before the rest or it will not work properly again.

Hope this helps.
Awesome, thankyou!

Will give it a shot tomorrow after school.. fingers crossed.

Borci88.

Borci88

Likes Dirt
All went well, eventually popped off :), now just need another small spacer, thats easy. Stupid friend decided to plant the screwdriver between the gyro and the frame, not actually inside the steerer tube.. Scratched the frame baaddd.

No biggie, thanks for your help guys :)

Borci88.

rad rob

Likes Dirt
for anyone else attempting this in the future, the biggest socket you can fit in your headtube and the extension bar work great.