Removing fork springs

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
Did a bit of a search but didn’t really come up with anything, wrong keywords perhaps. Anyway.

I remember back in the day, you could remove a single coil in your forks (boxxers) to soften them up….i.e. if you had two hard springs, remove one and chuck some heavier oil in….lighter forks and softer.

Reason I’m asking is my coil 66s have heavy springs in them, and I’m a small fella and getting nowhere near full travel, even on big hits…one side pretty much has a splash of oil and the other leg has light oil in it…

Can this still be done (remove one coil) or is it detrimental to the fork? I did this in an ancient pair of 6in” travel boxxers, worked great.

Or am I better off buying some light springs?

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
Reading that it seems like removing one spring and running air you'd have to replace the removed spring with an air cartridge...Because RCVs are only air assist...

Note I have 08 66 RCVs

BKelly

teh fast
Reading that it seems like removing one spring and running air you'd have to replace the removed spring with an air cartridge...Because RCVs are only air assist...

Note I have 08 66 RCVs
08 66 forks only use one spring in them, you can't remove the spring and just use air and still have the fork work properly.

Just get a soft spring, they're not that expensive . . .

BKelly

teh fast
Where can I get some soft springs...looked on CRC and they don't have any until July I think
The Austrailian Distributor has them in stock (SCV Imports)

Get your local bike shop to order one in for you.

CRC don't even have a listing for a soft spring for '08 66 forks, the ones they are out of stock of are to suit years up to '07 only.

RRP on this spring is $49

Last edited:

Kramer

FoBR
I have an old set of Marz DJ3 forks which are super hard. Been thinking for a while that I should get softer springs, but maybe removing just one of them and adding a little more air pre-load would do the trick?