Repairable Write Off

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Am looking at buying a repairable write off and thought I would ask the brains trust their thoughts for what this means.
I think the top one is mechanical engine no start and the bottom one is battery but have no idea on the middle?
The car was a stolen recovered car so I assume the top one is due to not having the keys.
Thoughts?

1710506186131.png

Flow-Rider

Burner
Sounds like a lucky dip which isn't good odds with the amount of information you have. A security module and key depending on the car could cost upwards of 10K, and depending on what needs to be done. The engine not running, could be an endless amount of issues, did they rev it until the crank snapped in half or did it end up underwater? Your guess is as good as mine.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Sounds like a lucky dip which isn't good odds with the amount of information you have. A security module and key depending on the car could cost upwards of 10K, and depending on what needs to be done. The engine not running, could be an endless amount of issues, did they rev it until the crank snapped in half or did it end up underwater? Your guess is as good as mine.
Yep, don't.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Watch the insurance clauses, faark I've spent so many hours getting my two insured correctly with their own policies and doing it all above board. Click previous damage and it's a phone call.

Minlak

custom titis
It’s a drama - it’s only worth it if it’s practically free - depending on the state your in you may not Ben be able to do it anymore - then insurance going forward is a drama as mentioned -

Flow-Rider

Burner
So you're saying the only way to find out if I'm lucky is to get it?
You really aren't going to know the extent of the problems until the car is in your hands.

Many people dispose of cars like this at auctions because they're a big headache to repair and they're not viable to repair.
You can't hear the motor run, you can't drive the car, alarm bells ringing already.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Don't most kids steal the keys first these days? (May not have them now)

Motor/could be farked.
suspension could be farked if jumped over speed humps/roundabouts :p

But if you can fix cheap and will run it into the ground.. might get lucky :)
Link to car?

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Nsw and vic can be strict on the methods used to repair...
Qld may be more lax?

Nope, QLD now needs proper receipts for all parts used, to identify they came from legit vehicles..
"Vehicle repairs and documentation requirements"

Flow-Rider

Burner
Don't most kids steal the keys first these days? (May not have them now)

Motor/could be farked.
suspension could be farked if jumped over speed humps/roundabouts :p

But if you can fix cheap and will run it into the ground.. might get lucky :)
Link to car?
Possibly repoed and they won't hand the keys over.

In a workshop I worked at we had a blown up RB26dett GTR skyline that was stolen by young kids and it sat there for about 10 years due to an insurance dispute.

The story was that the kids couldn't drive a manual so they held it flat stick in 2nd gear while getting chased by the police until the crank split in half. Something to do with the engine harmonics while they bounced off the rev limiter. The owner lost against the insurance company and then went to retrieve the car and the workshop wouldn't hand it back to them because no one would pay for storage costs. At the time the holding costs nearly exceeded the value of the car.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is the car:
Did the check and all it says is light damage all over. Doesn't say anything about mechanical issues.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Weird that it has "Vehicle gone off road" written on the bonnet in paint pen. Wonder if it's been jumped off-road and the monocoque/chassis has been twisted given the listing says "Incident type: Impact" and "Impact Damaged Vehicle" in the damage description. Can you still eyeball cars on-site at Pickles? From memory you used to be allowed to visually inspect, and start/stop the engine - just not select gears/drive it, etc.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
door previously repaired or?/ how do you do that?
1710556878451.png

hopefully doesn't need windscreen... but do wonder what is in the "sharps/Biohazard" sticker... needles?
1710556912429.png

Other than that.. and the fingerprint dust.... same damage as any hire car? :p
Nice cars though :)

Please Note: This description indicates the motor vehicle has a body appraisal based purely on an external walk around. Without limiting the generality of this disclaimer, there may be other damage including rust that is unsighted, mechanical and/or electrical issues, or missing parts, that will not be contained in the description and it remains the buyer's responsibility to make enquiries and be satisfied with the condition and state of repair.

Last edited:

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Weird that it has "Vehicle gone off road" written on the bonnet in paint pen. Wonder if it's been jumped off-road and the monocoque/chassis has been twisted given the listing says "Incident type: Impact" and "Impact Damaged Vehicle" in the damage description. Can you still eyeball cars on-site at Pickles? From memory you used to be allowed to visually inspect, and start/stop the engine - just not select gears/drive it, etc.
It says can't view it.
This is the damage listed on wovr
1710558702684.png

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
door previously repaired or?/ how do you do that?
hopefully doesn't need windscreen... but do wonder what is in the "sharps/Biohazard" sticker... needles?

Other than that.. and the fingerprint dust.... same damage as any hire car? :p
Nice cars though :)

Please Note: This description indicates the motor vehicle has a body appraisal based purely on an external walk around. Without limiting the generality of this disclaimer, there may be other damage including rust that is unsighted, mechanical and/or electrical issues, or missing parts, that will not be contained in the description and it remains the buyer's responsibility to make enquiries and be satisfied with the condition and state of repair.
Yes all those things add to the mystery.