Repairing carbon fibre chainstay?

LoveB

Likes Dirt

you guys think thats worth repairing? if it cracked mid section I reckon it would have been easy to just overlay it with cf or something but what about if its like this and at the edge where it joins the dropouts? Should I just smother it in epoxy? what do you guys suggest? thanks!!

LoveB

Likes Dirt
when i pull the dropouts and the chainstay apart it gets to about this far

pushed in and untouched its about this much

and this seems to be what was left of what would have been in between.

What do you guys think? can I get away with just epoxy?

measured both chainstays. both still at 14' so the questoin now is can i get away with putting epoxy in the gap and jamming it back in lol

Last edited:

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
If that was my bike I would do the following:

1. Remove the bolt and pull the insert out of the tube,
2. Clean any daggy bits off both the insert and the tube,
3. Ensure the insert still has a relatively firm fit,
4. Clean both the tube and insert with brake cleaner or similar cleaner which doesn't leave any residue or dust. I would use MEK to clean the parts as I have access to it, the preparation areas and the PPE required to use it, but brake cleaner would suffice,
5. Mix up some 24hr Araldite, not the 5min stuff as the 24hr stuff is stronger and apply it to both the insert and the inside of the tube,
6. Re-assemble parts and wipe off excess Araldite,
7. Carefully reinstall rear wheel which is to ensure correct spacing and alignment of the dropout and stand bike as upright as possible,
8. Leave bike undisturbed for at least 24hrs but 48hrs would be preferable to ensure adequate curing time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited: