Replacing a laptop screen with something..that isn't the original screen.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Long story stort my brother smashed the screen on my laptop a long time ago (like destroyed it). Knowing apple I didn't bother talking to them. But I still need a computer. Could I some how connect the laptop to a remote monitor? It has a few ports I don't recognise, 2 usb and no VGA.
How hard would it be to rip of the screen (sensibly), find all the wiring, maybe extend them a little and then contect them to another monitor?

ports_hero.jpg

10 internets to anywho who can help.

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
I've done it with a lappy before, so long as everything else is fine you should be sweet. Might need a displayport / mini adapter, depending on what Mac it is.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK I think I've figured it out. Pretty basic but I'm a windows boy so macs scare me.

For anyone interested
[video=youtube;zfUycPvFpjg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfUycPvFpjg[/video]

Matt H

Eats Squid
Instead of ripping the screen off just get a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter + monitor + a wireless keyboard and mouse. Then you can just have the macbook sitting closed under a desk or something.

taquar

Likes Dirt
Instead of ripping the screen off just get a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter + monitor + a wireless keyboard and mouse. Then you can just have the macbook sitting closed under a desk or something.
This, Thunderbolt is Macs version of HDMI. Shouldn't be too hard to set up.