Replacing old Fox 40 lowers

nathanm

Eats Squid
Would not have wanted to be the rider this happened to.
Are the forks a lost cause or is there some way to go about replacing the lowers?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Exactly. Couple of big cracks in the arch too. Best we can guess is the bike was run over by a car?
Oof, I'd be worried about a twisted/compromised CSU then.
Make a workshop lamp out of them? (a @kip01 suggestion for busted fork lowers)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Ebay. All sorts of stuff pops up on there. I picked up a set of mint (but equally ancient) straight steerer 36s for a reasonable price a few years ago.

Of course that was pre-COVID, so the cost of finding parts to restore them may become unviable pretty quickly.

placebo

Likes Dirt
Going to bump this a bit. Do the new 40 lowers fit the older 2019 40s? I've got a new frame with the much bigger lower head tube and my old arch doesn't clear it, but the new lowers have an offset arch that seems to work with these type of head tubes. I've got some reduced offset crowns, and old RC2 dampers so I'd really prefer to keep using my older 40s.

placebo

Likes Dirt
Found out newer 2021 lowers are compatible with older 40s. Also read that in combination with a MORC crown from Mojo, offsets can come down to 42mm using the newer lower on a 29er 40. Outsider crown with the -10mm insert would possibly get you 40mm offset with the new lowers. Old 49 used to spec 58mm stock.

Edit: Got some new lowers. Old 29 vs. new 29 offset.

49 offsets.jpg

Last edited: