Replacing old school 3*9 drivetrain with newer gear

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Just been on a 4 day mtbike ride 3x9 used every gear.
Perfectly happy, I have 2 independent hands so no problem changing both shifters.
Cant see what the fuss is about?
1 bloke had an Eagle 1 x12 w. 52 rear cog , everyone else thought it was stupid.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I run 3 X 9, rarely use the big ring.
Yep, my main bike is 3x9 and I just took the big ring off… for the increased clearance.

Just been on a 4 day mtbike ride 3x9 used every gear. Perfectly happy, I have 2 independent hands so no problem changing both shifters. Can’t see what the fuss is about?
I agree 100%... I have no problem engaging the use of my left thumb when I want a granny gear. It’s not that hard. And since I rarely use it, only when it gets real steep, it’s not like I’m doing it often and getting confused… oh, no, which thumb do I use??? Gosh I’ve got two of them (thumbs) and which one did I use last time??? Eeeek, tricky business, so hard, think I’ll have to go 1 x.

Bring on the Pinion (or equivalent) and make all that stupid unsprung weight go away.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I agree 100%... I have no problem engaging the use of my left thumb when I want a granny gear. It’s not that hard. And since I rarely use it, only when it gets real steep, it’s not like I’m doing it often and getting confused… oh, no, which thumb do I use??? Gosh I’ve got two of them (thumbs) and which one did I use last time??? Eeeek, tricky business, so hard, think I’ll have to go 1 x.
But, but that is the story. Front derailleurs are apparently also so difficult to set up that you need a diploma from Hogwarts to figure then out. The stupid bit to me is the line 'the loss of the shifter will declutter the cockpit' and then quickly bolt on a dropper post remote in its place.

I do like the satisfying snick-snick-clunk of dropping to a granny ring before a longish climb. Sounds like that make MTB'ing.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah but can you inagine the clutter of a dropper post AND front mech? Bleugh

It was easy for me, I’ve always run a chain guide on my geared bikes. 1x9 on my first mountain bike, never drop chains and dealt with a heavy granny gear.

Horses for courses and all that.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Horses for courses and all that.
That's true, you get used to what you have. Although having ridden 46/36/26 with about 12-30T for some time when I first started, I don't miss tall low gears anymore. The other wild card is that knees get older so compact 3x granny sure keeps them happier IMHO.

I'm not sold on the look of pizza sized big rings on the rear wheel either. That is a minor point admittedly.
Big rings on the front rock.

Good.
SRAM-Eagle-Drivetrain-2016-140114-1140x760.jpg

Better.
ParagonRing-1.jpg

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
They do look abit silly, but you don’t notice it when riding.

The cleanest, most aesthetically pleasing bike for me is a nice thin tubed, steel ss bike.

Nicely sloped top tube, wide bars, 50mm stem. Unreal.