Replacing Rim on Trance 27.5 - noob questions

aboutfivebucks

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

I'm a noob when it comes to replacing rims. I don't have easy access to bike shops (nearest one 850km away) so am keen to have a go at replacing the rim myself.

I've damaged my front Giant P-TRX1 27.5 rim
It's an Alloy, 28 spokes and has ETRTO 584x21 printed on the rim.

I want to replace it with something of similar quality.

Firstly can anyone recommend a replacement rim of similar quality?
Secondly - is there anything else I should check out before purchasing/ordering a RIM. eg other details or dimensions. ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The ETRTO of 584mm is the standard size for a 27.5 rim... which means you will fit a 27.5 tyre on it.

You need to either buy the same rim or a rim with the same ERD (Effective rim diameter) or your spokes will not work.

Google "rim ERD"

Last edited:

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
Bike24.com check out any DT Swiss rims. My TRX1 wheels got m512 rims.
To swap rims, zip tie the cross over of the spokes so they stand up when you take the nipples off (get some new nipples) and it's a simple swap. I trued the wheel in the frame/fork using tyre levers as guides. Not perfect but worked fine, did do a little fine tuning after a ride or two, I didn't have access to all the tools so I made do with a beer and some guess work.
The stock spokes still work as your stock rims are DT swiss, actually your wheels are DT swiss. Got a fresh set of m502 in the shed right now ready to go on.

Last edited:

mark22

Likes Dirt
Good advice above be easier and heaps less hassle buying and new ones and they don't cost that much. Got some from CRC a while back very happy no problems. Just make sure you get your hub width and axle type right, pretty straight forward.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Mate, I've got a used Giant S-XC2 front rim that came off my mates Trance. 15mm x 100mm. Set up tubeless and even has a used Maxxis Ardent on it. Yours for $50+ postage.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk