Reptile Pets

dannys

Likes Dirt
Hey Farkiners

Thought i might just start a thread on reptile pets
Post up picturess of your reptile whether it is a snake, lizard etc

im also abit curious an what you feed your reptiles. so i can get afew more ideas

here is mine

Called him spike for no reason in perticular :)
about 50cm long 3 years old (edit meant to be 50cm :)

Attachments

Last edited:

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
that is mad as i want to get like a small exotic pet like that. mate has got a turtle and it is awesome.

bodgie

Likes Dirt
sxereturn should have some awesome things for show-and-tell in this thread....
And so should Gruntled. Was at his place with a mate picking up some tyres he was buying 2nd hand and he seemed to have all types of cool animals there.

TheLunchbox

Likes Dirt
hahah gruntled has great knowledge on snakes so i wouldnt doubt he has cool
snakes..

I wouldnt mind a baby turtle.. does anyone know if you need a licence in NSW??

mitchdogg

Likes Bikes
5m? I'm guessing its 50cm? which is still pretty big, hey.

Yeh i work at a fish shop where the other fellas own/owned turtles, it is illegal to own them without a license but that doesn't stop people.
Also to own certain turtles it is illegal like the Red ear slider which are awesome and expensive lol, but they wreck the ecosystem. So i would say if you were to get a turtle go for a short neck Murray or something similar.

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
A of reptile keepers like to stay quiet about their collections because of the hype they can generate, and potentially negative publicity. Particulary those who keep venomous snakes or rare species.

cartman

Likes Bikes
I have a long neck turtle, and he basicly will only eat blood worms.

It is pretty cool as he has colours on the bottom of the shell that look like yellow snake marks, my brother has a short neck that he calls Homer as it will eat anything that is in the tank.
You do need a reptile licence to get a turtle and many other reptiles but is not hard to get and not to pricey

dannys

Likes Dirt
The reptile its self is relatively cheap compared to the costs of the License and the enclosure which are easily over $400. the thing is you have to pay around $60 every two years for a class "A" License.

At one stage my lizard got too big for his enclosure so i made one for under $100 and its big enough to it two beardies in. i made it from ply wood, it works great.
i reckon they are worth the money :)

ill attach the picture of the enclosure:

danny

Attachments

Arete

Likes Dirt
Some of the critters around the office:

Confiscated from illegal collection:

2 of these, 'borrowed' from Hoser (who Sxe might know of):

and my favourite, 2 pygopods. Geckoes that evolved into gecko eating legless geckoes.

Just to be all nanna for a second - a pet turtle will live for 30 years, a beardie for 15-20 years. So if you're planning on getting one, make sure you really want one.

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hoser, im not a fan of the guy from what i've heard about his work.

i have a 8 month old centrilian carpet python, he shed about 2 weeks back and i got a few pics i have been meaning to post, starting to get some nice colors on him.

supa jb

Likes Dirt
i have 2 eastern blue tongues, one would be getting on 7 or 8 years old the other maybe 6? have two seperate tanks because otherwise they fight. Be prepared to have to fork out for another tank even if you are buying animals of the same species. reptiles make great pets.