Resin only rotor - are kevlar pads an option?

PJS

Likes Dirt
I've been searching through the thousands of brake threads, and most of them are organic/ceramic vs sintered metallic, with barely anything said about kevlar (+ves/-ves?).

Apparently there isn't any metal in the kevlar pads, but does that mean they will be suitable for my RESIN ONLY rotor?

I'm not riding downhill, but do ride some trails where some pretty heavy and sustained braking is needed. I guess I'm mostly an XC or AM rider (AKA noob)? I don't want to keep replacing the pads, so think the 'ceramic pro' on discobrakes wouldn't be a good idea. I sent an email to ask when they'd have the hard ceramic in stock but don't know if they even make it? Would they be a good option anyway?

So I can't have metallic or semimetallic - what would you use?

Thanks for having a look at yet another brake thread, I hope you can add a helpful reply :)
Phil

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Resin rotor? Are you trying to be funny?
True. My Trek 6500 came with resin only shimano rotors.

I actually used sintered and they were fine.
They did wear away the rotors though, but any rotor will wear away in good time if you use sintered.

As for the kevlar, can't help sorry mate. No idea.

PJS

Likes Dirt
Still keen to find out about the kevar, but I was also thinking since this is only the first pad replacement, it might be the time to change the rotor altogether (to on ethats hardened steel). I have a feeling you can't do this because the mineral oil can't take the higher temps you get with the metallic pads?

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been searching through the thousands of brake threads, and most of them are organic/ceramic vs sintered metallic, with barely anything said about kevlar (+ves/-ves?).

Apparently there isn't any metal in the kevlar pads, but does that mean they will be suitable for my RESIN ONLY rotor?

I've never heard of Kevlar only brake pads so I tried searching and found nothing. I'm assuming "Kevlar" brake pads would be considered a type of organic pad and so If you do a search on "Organic vs Sintered" you should have all the answers you need.

As above, Resin only rotors mean the rotor is too soft for Sintered/metallic pads. The rotor will just gouge out and you be replacing the rotor everytime you replace the pads...

AFAIK Organic pads last longer anyway, so just buy an organic pad to suit your brake. Or if you need more power (which I doubt on a XC bike,) buy some better rotors and sintered pads.

This post may/may not be helpful, either way, post up what brakes you have and we might be able to point you in the right direction?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Shimano brakes run mineral oil so the is no worries about the type of fluid mixed with metallic pads there.
Dot fluid will handle higher temps better, but I can cook my mineral oil brakes pretty hard before they fade off.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
True. My Trek 6500 came with resin only shimano rotors.

I actually used sintered and they were fine.
They did wear away the rotors though, but any rotor will wear away in good time if you use sintered.

As for the kevlar, can't help sorry mate. No idea.
Same here. I used semi metallic pads on resin only rotors with no issues.

2-fast

Likes Dirt
yeah im the same as Harmonix1234!

the only thing ive found with the slintered pads on the resin only rotor is that Braking performance is severly shite in wet and muddy conditions! other than that its all good!

PJS

Likes Dirt
I've pretty much decided to run a resin/ceramic pad. I know running semimetallic can be done (good to see you can get a few years too, so might still think about it) but I figure that the rotor says 'resin only', the organics seem to grip better from what I've read and work in a wider range of conditions? Downside is they wear out quick (so that's why I was curious about the 'hard ceramics' and 'kevlar' pads).

The original searches I did, I came accross a lot of organic vs sintered threads and was lucky to find one sentence on kevlar. Became aware of them after people on this forum suggested discobrakes.com - here's their brake compounds page.

I basically being tight. Didn't want to spend $25 per pair. I'm open to suggestions. I have Shimano BR-M445 brake on a stock 2011 giant XTC.
Was looking at EBC greens too...

I have no idea. Clearly. :D

PJS

Likes Dirt
With a bit of hunting around I've found

Alligator organic pads for $12 per pair

EBC Green $17.50 per pair

Kool Stop KS-D615 for about $20

Shimanos about $22

Never heard of alligators. Anyone used them? What about the others?
Thanks again