Restoring/Cleaning up Anno paint.

k_d

Likes Dirt
Ok so here is the problem.

I have a 2006 Demo 8 which has an anodized brown finish on it. Now the other day I pulled off one of those clear cable rub protectors and noticed that the paint was a darker brown. After seeing this, I assumed that the sun has probably faded the finish, but is there any way I can clean it up?

I have tried using metho+water, but that doesnt do anything. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anodizing isn't a paint per se, but rather a surface finish. Unlike a paint, which is a little bit like a coating of plastic sprayed onto the metal, anodizing is actually a dye which stains the oxide coating of the aluminium (they artificially build up a thicker coat of oxide in tanks, stain it with a dye, then seal it all). Basically if the anodizing has faded (meaning the dye has actually faded) there's not much you can do about it, save for have the frame stripped and re-anodized

k_d

Likes Dirt
Anodizing isn't a paint per se, but rather a surface finish. Unlike a paint, which is a little bit like a coating of plastic sprayed onto the metal, anodizing is actually a dye which stains the oxide coating of the aluminium (they artificially build up a thicker coat of oxide in tanks, stain it with a dye, then seal it all). Basically if the anodizing has faded (meaning the dye has actually faded) there's not much you can do about it, save for have the frame stripped and re-anodized
Damn, I was afraid this would be the case. Oh well.

unitec

Likes Dirt
Try some silicone spray. It's the active ingredient in a product called bike shine but cheaper.
If you don't have any handy try spraying some WD-40 on it as it will give the same appearance & let you know if the silicone spray is going to work.
Just stay away from your brakes.
Good luck

k_d

Likes Dirt
Try some silicone spray. It's the active ingredient in a product called bike shine but cheaper.
If you don't have any handy try spraying some WD-40 on it as it will give the same appearance & let you know if the silicone spray is going to work.
Just stay away from your brakes.
Good luck
Thanks for the suggestion. This worked a treat. Makes it look good as new.