Retro Apollo builder in Melbourne

eraser215

Cannon Fodder
Hey everybody, happy Friday!

I'm here for retro-related reasons, as I am in the middle of a strip and rebuild of my '92ish Apollo Kosciusko, in this wonderful lurid green and pink colour scheme.

I bought it in my teens (I am now 36) and used it as a commuter for a number of years. I have now disassembled the bike and am doing the following:

- New Chainset (Zee 36T)
- New Brakes (Tektro CR-510)
- New levers (Tektro FL-740)
- New old wheels (got to space the frame to fit 135mm wheels into 130mm dropouts). I'll keep it on slicks though, please don't beat me.
- Wider riser bars (help! Anybody want to sell me some 25.4mm bars)

Why would I do this to an old bike that was only mid range, and looks beaten up to hell? Because I can. I have a sentimental attachment to the bike and get a lot of enjoyment from the process of picking parts and assembling them, making it truly my own!

I am looking forward to poking around this forum, learning more, and won't deny myself of the urges I am sure I will have to buy a proper hardtail with disc brakes for offroad fun.

Have a great weekend all!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
welcome dude.

my first mtb was an Appollo Cheetah. Still hanging up in one of my old mans sheds. I rode and rode it as a teenager. It was my freedom ticket.

I'll have a hunt for some 25.4 bars, think I have some. Whats wrong with 500mm wide bars, it was all the rage in 1992? :)

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Welcome, deff a trip down a somewhat forgotten memory lane!

My first mtb was an all green (same or very similar green as yours) Apollo Kosciusko, around the same vintage plus or minus a couple years?

Travis.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm confused...retro build using old frame and new bits yeah? Why not just take a small leap into the present and buy an all new(er) bike? Not ripping on your build, just seeking the motivation for keeping frame o.g. but new schooling the balance.

Still hanging up in one of my old mans sheds.
How many dad's do you have?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Restore the Apollo to its former glory and get a new steed if you have the urge. Win win...

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

eraser215

Cannon Fodder
That is for all the responses and for hunting for bars for me!

I realise that putting money for new parts into this frame is not financially sound, but it's something I want to do for fun to spoil myself. Not shown in the photo is how beaten up the paint and decals on the frame are, but that will lend it some.... Uhhhhh.... Character I guess.

Every change I have wanted to make has been easy except the bars. The current bars are 580mm so not mega narrow, but for some reason I've convinced myself to put 700+ risers on. Rare as hens teeth in this diameter. I could get a stem adaptor, but then I need a cantilever hanger, and things get annoying!

Anyway, I think apollo did their best looking bikes around this era, and I know exactly what your Cheetah looks like too. White and yellow, right?

slowmick

38-39"
I had a 1988 Kosciusko - it was blue and white. ride it everywhere. i went an looked in the shed. I have a set of silver Azonic 1-1/2 inch riser bars but they are only 660mm. They seemed massive when i got them but look tiny by todays standards.

eraser215

Cannon Fodder
I had a 1988 Kosciusko - it was blue and white. ride it everywhere. i went an looked in the shed. I have a set of silver Azonic 1-1/2 inch riser bars but they are only 660mm. They seemed massive when i got them but look tiny by todays standards.
Funny how trends and technology change what's normal! Thank you for looking. I don't want the hunt for perfect bars to get in the way of the build.... I am slow enough at the best of times.