Revel Rascal

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have had this bike for a couple of months now, and thanks to lockdown havent ridden it as much as I would have liked, but holy moly it is amazing! By far the most super bike Ive owned.

June 2021 updates can be found here.

Revel Rascal T1000 XL
Spank Oozy 350 wheelset
Spank Oozy stem 50mm
Spank Oozy bars 780mm
Onza tyres - Aquila 29x2.4 front; Ibex 29x2.4 rear
KS LEV dropper
Burgtec The Cloud saddle
Burgtec Minnnaar grips (these are a revelation!)
Shimano XT drivetrain 1x12spd
Shimano XT 4 piston brakes
Rockshox shock and Pike Ultimate fork.

Basically the stock Off Road Bikes Online (ORBO) XT build.

Where it really shine is in descending, the bike feels so good and balanced I can push really hard - I am going fast than ever on anything flat or downhill. Uphill Im still winching lol. The weight is really low (I normally run pretty heavy bikes), at around mid 13kg's. Pedalling also is very efficient - the suspension feels active, but the bike wants to move forward with each pedal. Most reviews talk about how poppy and playful it is, and I would agree, but the defining character is how it feels like it has a lot more travel on the back end - its really noticeable.

Last edited:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
100% would ride if it was two sizes smaller. I like the silver better than the blue, looks wonderful with the Pike Ultimate in silver.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've got this bikes spiritual predecessor (Canfield Balance), and saw @Nerf Herder on his Revel a week ago.

I honestly think you're selling this bike short. The single best feature of the CBF suspension system is the climbing, in particular the way it doesn't get stalled on square obstacles under power. The descending is great too but the single standout feature for me is the climbing.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Had a cheeky perv on a rail last week. The build quality on these Revel’s is awesome!
I was impressed with how quiet the bikes are.

Super jealous. Shame covid’s stopped you enjoying it to it’s fullest.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I've got this bikes spiritual predecessor (Canfield Balance), and saw @Nerf Herder on his Revel a week ago.

I honestly think you're selling this bike short. The single best feature of the CBF suspension system is the climbing, in particular the way it doesn't get stalled on square obstacles under power. The descending is great too but the single standout feature for me is the climbing.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
What are you on about? Those climbs at loftus are all super smooth with no rocks or roots in sight.
The trails are a glorified highway.

Last edited:

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have done a couple of updates now to the Rascal, and moved across the country to Perth so thought Id do a quick update.

First, the updates:
Granite water bottle cage - side loader, means I can put a full size water bottle in there. Nicely made and a good price.
XFusion H3C coil rear shock - this has definitely improved traction on the back end, and you can also feel it using more travel at any given point. Revel haven't tested this shock properly and don't recommend it, so I guess Im a test dummy. The weight is great and overall I like it more than the air shock so its staying on.
Spank saddle - only one ride in and had to do a few adjustments. Is a bit wider and shorter than the Burgtec which felt really good at first, but felt the pressure points 25km in. Have adjusted the angles slightly and will see how ride 2 goes. Due to the shape its a bit better than the Burgtec for climbing, but loses a bit of ground on the descents.
YEP Components Dropper - the best dropper I have ever used. Feels like it has no movement at all, makes it feel more like a rigid post whilst riding - everything else feels like a noodle. Easy to actuate, even under a fair bit of weight and I love the lever as well. It comes with a bleed kit but havent had to use it yet (about 12 months in on it now) so will see.
Grounskeeper frame kit - really nicely matches the frame and is a good thickness, balancing protection and looks. Install was as easy as anything I've done (similar to AMS)

And the ride - first impressions have carried on, this really is a ripper of a bike and I have ridden it on some really technical big trails, big jumps and trail and XC. The main attraction is its descending capability, suspension action and weight. This one is still mid 13kgs which is pretty awesome for how capable it is imo. Suspension feels like you have more and has first class traction. I think it gives up a little climbing prowess for descending and suspension action - it doesnt have that taught, rocket ship feel up the hill some bikes do. The finish is still incredible and havent had any durability issues at all.