Reverb seat post twisting when crashed

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I've had a couple of reasonably big crashes over the last couple of weeks and both times I ended up twisting the shaft of my Reverb by at least 30 degrees. Not sure if it was the right thing to do, but I used force to just wrench it back to straight. Seeing a video one being taken apart, it seems that there are a couple of brass 'keys' that stop the upper stanchion from twisting in the lowers. Are they designed to withstand a bit of twisting every now and then, or have I damaged it? There is the usually minimal slop from side to side, but everything else appears to be working OK. I just know that I can now twist the seat without huge amounts of force.

Lfwd

Squid
Worst scenario those key slots are damaged. To replace brass keys with one size larger may help a bit.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Worst scenario those key slots are damaged. To replace brass keys with one size larger may help a bit.
I hope the keys went back into the slots when I twisted the seat back around. I guess it wouldn't move up and down as easily if that were the case.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you think it's twisted all the way up the top near the seat clamp rather than the brass key area? The Interface between the stanchion tube and the seat rails is a screw fit that isn't supposed to come apart, maybe yours unscrewed or tightened a bit? (bottom right below)

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Wasn't there an exactly the same thread two months ago?

Yes there was:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?302883-2016-Reverb-twist!
Good find and interesting read. It's definitely a possibility that the top sections has screwed around and not the stanchion. If the keys were mashed then you would think the post would be struggling to raise and lower, which it is not. Problem is, to test the theory of the top part rotating, I have to give it a good old wrench to replicate the problem - which I'm reluctant to do if it's going to destroy the keys even more. At the moment I have a post that works, but I'm not sure how easily it will rotate just from pedalling as I when I last rode it I was downhilling/shuttling and didn't spend any time on the seat.