Reverb seat post

BAMBAM62

Likes Bikes
Hi All
I have a 3 year old reverb that is suddenly loosing pressure.
The importer reckons buy a new one.
Any hints on repair ?
Russ

D_Nine

Contact SRAM DSD number is 1800 GO SRAM. This is their service centre in Melbourne. A service/rebuild would still be cheaper than a new post !

BAMBAM62

Likes Bikes
FTR sent it down ( great shop & they did everything they could ) but the importers said dearer to repair then to replace as I have no receipt ( who does after 3 years ).
They did offer a discount on a new unit if I did find a receipt which is more then fair on there part.
I bought the post from TC Bike Barn which has since closed down.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're reasonably mechanically inclined you can rebuilt it yourself. There are vids out there detailing strip down and service kits are available about the place. I'd only try it if you've done similar before, e.g. rebuilt forks or disc brakes

BAMBAM62

Likes Bikes
That looks like the option
1. Check the internal collar that holds the air shaft into the internal oil chamber.
2. Top up the internal oil chamber if low

Any other idea's ?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Probably stating the obvious, but have you tried giving it a bleed? They come with a bleed kit and it's easy to do. I shortened the hose on mine when I got it and it ceased to work so I had to give it a bleed, which was no drama.

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
I was in the same boat, worked fine but dropped a tiny bit when i sat on it. I sent it to importer and without them even touching it they said around $250 but highly recommended just buying a new one. it only cost me $220 when i was in America and was about to go back to Canada so got it sent back. Used it for another 3 months and sent it to the local Rockshox Blackbox guru Shaun Crookshanks in Whistler. $50 later it had a full service and was better than new. He said he had a few people coming in with the same story from Australia. I call bullshit on the importer service guys!

moorey

call me Mia
The problem is the post wont hold the recomended 250 PSI.
I replaced the shraeder valve on an old Joplin that wouldn't hold air. Only recently picked up a sh reverb, so I haven't even looked closely at it, but could it be as simple as that?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
This.

People shopping on the internet is not killing the local bike industry......... the importers are.
Similar story with rear shock servicing - why spend $180 on a service if you can pick a brand new one up for $250 os. The idea it costs them $180 for servicing an eminently simple device is absolutely preposterous .

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That looks like the option
1. Check the internal collar that holds the air shaft into the internal oil chamber.
2. Top up the internal oil chamber if low

Any other idea's ?
I guess if you're really keen you could try painting the whole post in soapy water, pump it up and see where the air is coming out. If it were me I'd probably just spring for a full service kit. It's 3 years old. For a component with sliding surfaces such as this (and forks, shocks) there are a lot of seals that do wear and are crucial to proper operation. You could spend a lot of time chasing the leak, find it, replace a single component and then find another goes shortly after. Replace all the o-rings and fluids. Be clean and meticulous, unless there are broken components in there you'll probably come out of it quite well.

D_Nine

Not much info given. Did the LBS send the post to Monza or SRAM DSD ? To be honest if either said the post was rooted I would be inclined to believe them. Personally I have had nothing but ridiculous service from both. Probably the best of the importers.To be quite honest though probably better from DSD. DSD answers to SRAM direct ,they only deal with servicing and warranty. As an example a mate of mine through his LBS had a Hammerschmidt crank sent in as it was skipping. About 4yrs old.Turns out the inner pawls were stuffed, no stock avail and no eta. DSD sourced a slightly used crank rebuilt his and returned it, at no charge. Another mate sent down his 2010 Boxxer fork also several years old never serviced 50% travel . Air cartridge and seals needed replacement ,cost $250. Opens box and completely new lowers have been fitted free off charge ! So if this makes them C##nts as suggested by some bring it on !!So check if the LBS used DSD or Monza. Also I would check if you paid by card will a bank statement suffice as proof off purchase ? But seriously if DSD had it and couldn't sort it,it must really have been stuffed .

BAMBAM62

Likes Bikes
It was sent to Monza.
Post was regularly serviced.
Pulling it apart today.
Apparently it has a broken air shaft