Review: PO1NT Split Second stem

S.

ex offender
Rod at Blue Mountain Bikes was kind enough to send us one of the new Po1nt (Point 1?) Split Second standard-mount (not direct-mount) stems to check out, and boy have these guys put some effort into this stem. Weighing in at a mere 138g with steel hardware, this could well be the lightest stem on the market, and with its nickel finish and clean lines it’s also one of the sickest looking.

Check it out here.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Iv had one of these stem for a while now. going on at least 8months at a guess.

Iv raced a fair few 4X events with it and done a heap of BMX track riding with it. I haven't once had the stem slip on me or anything similar. It points straight ahead and doesnt move. Also i haven't noticed any flex at all while riding it.

Guys this stem is super rad. i would deff go out and buy another if i was building another 4X bike

CAMRIDESBIKES

Likes Dirt
I've been running one of these stems for about a year now and i cannot fault them.

Unbelievable weight, looks great, no flex.

I've been running this stem on my dirtjump bike and have had plenty of big bails with the bike and the stem has never budged. It's just one of those products you can put on your bike and never worry about and never have to touch it.

And at 138 grams you won't find a lighter, better designed stem elsewhere

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what's the price tag on one of those?
and what is it specifically made for?
From the article:

PO1NT Pricing:
Split Second, black, 31.8mm (138g) or 25.4mm (125g): $200. Nickel versions with titanium bolts (126g): $260
Direct Mount, black, 31.8mm (128g) or 25.4mm (122g with mounting bolts, 99g without), $200. Nickel versions with titanium bolts (113g including mounting bolts), $260.

Specifically, it's for downhill or 4X.
Anyone wanting a completely race-orientated stem with the inherent limitations in flexibility such focus brings (read: inbuilt top cap dictating steerer length, at least to some degree).

Last edited:

Bunyip

Likes Dirt
And at 138 grams you won't find a lighter, better designed stem elsewhere
Check out Foride stems.
http://www.foride.com/st45.html
They are similar to PO1NT split stem (they are split, made of titanium and use ti bolts)
But they weigh 106g.
I have contacted Foride to see the availability and they should be in the country soon and selling for around $180AUD.

Both PO1NT and Foride look like wicked options.