Riding banned at Manly Dam!

Dutch

Squid
Hi everyone,
I just got an email from warringah council informing me that riding at Manly Dam has been banned along 2.17km of the track in the interests of'safety'. They are placing signs informing everyone that riding is banned in the sections and they say penalties will apply. The areas affected include the best bits of singletrack that run parrallel to the golf course! The email also mentions that it will be at least six months before the issue is resolved and bikers may be allowed back onto these sections.

I just got off the phone to the council and apparently there is no one at the council in customer service that knows what is going on or why. Although the lady i was speaking to was smart enough to know that she was about to be inundated with hundreds of phone calls regarding this issue.

Does anyone know why this closure is occuring and if any riders have been consulted? is there a mountain biking body or group that can represent riders on issues like this?

Anyway, I encourage everyone that reads this to contact the council and politely ask whats going on and why it is happening. If enough of us call and make a nuisance of ourselves then they will have to do something about it!

EDIT: Heres the link to the warringah council website
http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/services/ManlyDam.aspx

Last edited:

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
Well finally common sense has taken over. Mountain biking at the dam is a dangerous activity that should be banned. Just think, someone could slip on the mud...fall in the dam..and drown!