Riding by Yourself

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys, recently I have found myself riding by myself, because of the mates ever increasing work load.

How many others here ride solo regularly, and what do you take with you incase you get into trouble?

Would love to try Buller. But unsure if that's suitable riding by yourself. :/

Minlak

custom titis
I do a lot of riding by myself in areas where no one may find you for a week or more. So I tell some one exactly where I am going and when they should panic if they haven't heard from me. You need to be accurate here I leave a 2 hr window. So if I am late by 2 hrs she is allowed to call in the troops. I carry my mobile phone in a protective case that is likely to survive an off, a compression bandage and plenty of fluid. I don't think about "What if?" as then you just wouldn't go. You can get personal epirbs http://www.adventuresafety.com.au/ etc but let's face it any form of communication relies on you being in a state to communicate so I currently stick with the mobile phone and not thinking "What if?"

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I often ride by myself, I just make sure the Mrs knows where and when.

Buller isn't too bad as long as your riding in peak periods - weekends and/or not strange times like 9pm, generally plenty of people coming and going on the various trails on a nice day - although there is probably gaps of 1-2 hours at times.

I don't rely on the phone as it may be out of range or smashed in a crash. The only other thing i would add to pack if riding along as a compression bandage or two, if if you're really paranoid or going remote an eparb.

Hey Guys, recently I have found myself riding by myself, because of the mates ever increasing work load.

How many others here ride solo regularly, and what do you take with you incase you get into trouble?

Would love to try Buller. But unsure if that's suitable riding by yourself. :/
I ride a lot on my own, tell someone where (exactly) and how long you'll expect to be. I take my hydration pack with water (duh), x2 spare tubes, some muesli bars/bananas, extra bottle of water, first aid kit - small one, multi tool and phone. Take a jumper or something if you're going into an area that can get cold...just in case.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I ride a lot by myself. If it's not my local trails or I'm doing a bit of exploring, I'll tell someone where I'm going and to call 000 if I'm not back or have contacted them before that time. I take my phone, 3L of water and a bit of food. I ride within my limits as part of the objective is getting back in one piece. I also pack a light first aid kit, a thermal or wind/waterproof jacket, enough to keep reasonably comfortable on a cold night if I'm in the mountains. I also have a whistle on my key ring which is an easy way of attracting attention if worst comes to worst. Basically, do your research and pack and ride smart if you're going alone… e.g. maybe wait until you're with someone else to try that new 6 foot drop.

If you're looking for ideas or more info it might be worth looking through the bike packing thread, to read up on fun, self-sufficiency and survival in the worst conditions. http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?208953-The-Self-Sufficient-Bike-Camping-Thread

imago

Likes Bikes
I'm usually riding solo due to work. Anywhere remote I take a PLB. Only thing that sucks is you don't get anywhere near the improvement/challenge that comes with riding in a group!

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All good, sensible ideas here.

"Be prepared" Its the scouts motto! (too many years as a young un in cubs or scouts).
Always tell someone your course, general direction or area that you are going to... Even dirt road intersections, landmarks( Im going to ride over that big hill and end up at the river on the other side) can assist rescue services if needed.
Always ride within your limits when out in the sticks.
Always carry a basic first aid kit(triangular bandages as a min).
I will send the missus a text with my expected journey in it, so if i dont come home around the expected time, she doesn't have to rely on a conversation with me to remember where I said I was going. She has it in writing on her phone !

Nothing better than getting out on a ride solo. Its my time then. Having 4 kids, there isnt alot of "my time"!

PS. I love my kids, but the time Im out solo is great !!!:wave: Hi Kids..

wavike

Likes Dirt
I'm usually riding solo due to work. Anywhere remote I take a PLB. Only thing that sucks is you don't get anywhere near the improvement/challenge that comes with riding in a group!
That's one of the big down sides of riding alone, tend to ride more carefully. I generally just do more fitness rides alone. PLB is on my list, been lucky so far. Minimum let someone know where you're riding. I'm a bit slack on that as I head off and ride where I feel like going. There's been a bit of discussion on PBL's vs spot trackers in other threads, plenty good advice there.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?272967-Personal-Locator-Beacon&highlight=spot+tracker

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Pretty sure I do more solo riding than group riding. I'm pretty safety unconscious! I ride with less intensity on my own and tend to stick to stuff I know.

One time I "awoke" in a pile of ferns a few meters away from the trail. Backpack was further away and same with bike. My head hurt and I was dizzy and confused...then I realised I must have had a crash. Panicked grabbed my shit and rode out of scrub into a nearby park to pass out again. Eventually I made it to civilisation (the nearby uni) where I grabbed a coffee and chilled. Wasn't sure why all these people were looking at me funny until one of my riding crew arrived. While he was putting my bent dj bike back I to order I followed his instructions to go clean up my face. Blood and dirt everywhere! Was pretty funny. But so dangerous.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Having just moved to a city that where I don't know any other rider, riding by myself is a common occurrence. I definitely change my riding style and try not to take unnecessary risks. I tend to leave the doubles these days, and shoulder the bike over sections with shear drops off to one side etc. I don't shy away from riding in remote places and riding technical trails but I do make sure that I don't go any further than about 10kms from the road end (aka a two hour hike out).

But as others say, be prepared. Take food, water, a first aid kit and compression bandage (thinking about it, wouldn't a spare tube could also make a good compression bandage should you get a snake bite? keen to hear what peps think about that)... Basically I make sure have enough with me that should I have a bad off or a serious mechanical and are forced to /can walk out I don't get heat exhaustion or dehydration.

And as for contact, I tend to ride areas that have decent phone coverage if possible. And I do take with me a charged smart phone, so I have the ability to tell emergency services my GPS coordinates. I don't personally have a tracker app on my phone but I am thinking of getting one just in case, so my wife can pass on these details to SES should I not return from a ride.

But at the end of the day, riding by yourself has increased risks. For instance my uncle was working by himself in the bush, slipped, knocked himself unconscious and fell face down in a puddle. He drowned in 2" of water. Terrible luck I know but if someone else had been there he'd be alive today. Food for thought.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Im pretty happy to ride alone, I actually like it and at times prefer it. But I ride downhill mostly and while there is a change of big injuries on the trail is also located in one area so as long as people know where you are its fine. Id have more issues if I was riding xc purely because of the larger distance and area covered. Id also make sure not to venture off the trail I told people about. A PLB is a good move for long riders.

Last edited:

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
yep,ride by myself 90% of the time,all ways ride within your limits and if you want to get brave and take on a big drop or some other obstacle,stop before you do and have a think!
I'm no risk taker and definitely no hell man but I won't stop having a go either,even if I have ko'd myself before :laugh:
Elbo,good tip about the whistle,i'll be adding one to my kit.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Elbo,good tip about the whistle,i'll be adding one to my kit.
Yeah thankfully I haven't had to use it, but its there if necessary. Thought of it after hiking Mt Feathertop in the middle of winter in a near white out once and not being able to see others 20m in front of me. Have taken it riding with me every time since now.

DOWN HILL DAN

Likes Bikes
Hi all,hows things you have all got me thinking.I have been riding by myself for most off my riding life.An have had some close calls in my time. The last one was on Saturday at Ourimbah I cart wheeled down the top half of the all mountain track.bent my pedal tore the seat bent bars an so on.Ok I was not to bad just bark off my elbows bruised hip an a sore knee.But it made me relies maybe i should slow down a bit.I take all the norm gear water tools phone etc.but one thing i think you all have over looked is a lighter i know it sounds strange but what if you do get stuck an cant get out.You may have smashed your phone or epirb or have no reception an you stuck for the night you need fire to stay warm an also you can use smoke to let the search party no where you are.hay any thing has risks but its how you Handel it when the shit does hit the fan that makes you live.ride on all:wave:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Unfortunately I have no option than to ride alone, the majority of the time. Thanks to my personality....fortunately, the wife doesn't care if I disappeared during a ride.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I'm new to mountain biking, probably will be doing some remote riding on my own in the future but I can pass on my thoughts of what I carry when hiking alone in the backcountry.
I often go with minimal gear, on top of the obvious water etc, I always carry; a PLB, a 5W UHF/GPS unit, phone, cigarette lighter, tiny wind up torch and a foil blanket (even if you get hold of help, you don't really know how long you will have to wait).
Riding alone I'd probably just take the PLB/spaceblanket/lighter as they all live in the PLB pouch anyway. I find the extra security of the PLB gives me confidence to explore a bit further than I normally would.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Yeah I do it a bit too.

Summary of what I take is adequate;

Spares
Food, gels, bars etc
Fluid and High 5 tabs
Tools
Phone
I wear a Road id
Money

And tell someone where you are going and expected time of return. If going hardcore far off road tell someone the trails etc you will be taking.

Silverstreak

Likes Bikes
I ride alone most of the time. Fortunately living in Wollongong and riding the escarpment I have phone coverage. As the wife and I both have iPhones we have the 'Find My IPhone' app and that allows her to see where I am in case she gets worried and I can't hear the phone ring.

I'm also less adventurous solo.